• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Swarm

niteshade6

First Post
I don't know if it's what your looking for, but Fiend Folio has a swarm feature for creatures, and it's supposed to be compatible with 3.5. Personaly i think swarm creatures are the coolest thing in the book.

Olive

Explorer
although it doesn' t actually detail them as such. it provides examples of swarms, and explains how they work, but it doesn't explain how to build them. i'm sure it can be reverse engineered, but i haven't done it yet.

Has anyone else?

Murrdox

First Post
It doesn't provide rules for building them from the ground up, but does it have to?

The beginning of Fiend Folio has a very large section detailing all the rules for swarms.

They don't go so far as to say what type of hit die, BAB, saves, or attacks that Swarms get... but is all that information really necessary to create a swarm? Afterall, you could have many different KINDS of swarms... "Swarm" is just a descriptor, like "humaniod" or such. All you need to do is create a normal monster, and then give it the "swarm" type, and then it goes from being one monster to thousands of little ones. ;)

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Olive said:
although it doesn' t actually detail them as such. it provides examples of swarms, and explains how they work, but it doesn't explain how to build them. i'm sure it can be reverse engineered, but i haven't done it yet.

Has anyone else?

Page 5 in the FF where it details the new Swarm subtype. It gives enough info that you should be able to build your own swarms.

orinwarf

First Post
Notably missing from the Fiend Folio's swarm descriptions is the number of creatures found in a swarm of Tiny creatures. It describes the exact number when concerning swarms of Fine and Diminutive creatures, but as far as I can tell, lacks the information on Tiny creatures. One might easily estimate the approximate number by relying on the general ratio found throughout the 3rd edition rule-set; still, I'm curious if anyone is aware of the official answer to this question. Anyone?

--orinwarf

Remove ads