D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5e] Armor and Shield bonus, has this been covered yet?

RigaMortus

Explorer
Hehe, get it? Has it been COVERED yet? As in, cover, from a tower shield?

Ahem, anyway...

Did WotC mention anything about making Armor give an Armor Bonus to AC and a Shield give a Shield Bonus to AC? I think it is about time they differentiate the two, at least make it more clear than it is now.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Yeoman

First Post
I thought I heard the same thing (about differentiating the two types), but as for the Tower Shield, I've never had any issues with it, as it always seemed simple enough to us. Maybe we're doing it wrong? :)

Dr. Zoom

First Post
I remember Caliban posting something to the effect of shields having a shield bonus, tower shields with larger shield bonuses instead of cover, and the shield spell providing a +4 shield bonus instead of a +7 cover bonus for half the battlefield.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Dr. Zoom said:
I remember Caliban posting something to the effect of shields having a shield bonus, tower shields with larger shield bonuses instead of cover, and the shield spell providing a +4 shield bonus instead of a +7 cover bonus for half the battlefield.

I said everything except the part about the tower shield. This is based on the 3.5 Q&A they had at Winter Fantasy.

I don't know what they are going to do with the tower shield, but it wouldn't surpise me if they change it to a shield bonus.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Thanks for clarifying that, Caliban. I thought I remembered correctly. Maybe I just imagined the bit with the tower shield, then. :D

Brown Jenkin

First Post
See I don't hate everything about 3.5. Armor bonuses and Shield bonuses being seperate is a good Idea I don't know why they didn't include originally.

Remove ads