D&D 3E/3.5 3e version of a "tracking device"?

Damon Griffin

First Post
I'm looking for any existing spell, magic item or weapon quality that does something along these lines:

An archer shoots a fleeing opponent with a specially-prepared arrow; the target is now mystically "tagged" making him easier to track than would otherwise be the case. For the next [limited period of time, probably 24 hours], the archer will be able to sense the direction and distance to tagged creature. If more than one such creature has been tagged in this manner, the archer will be able to sense all of them, but will not be able to distinguish one from the other (all "tagged" creatures look alike to the tracking sense at work here).

This is nothing more than a magical version of an electronic tracking device.

At this point I have not decided on most of the parameters. I am likely to go with a 24 hour duration, but a longer duration might be okay as long as it fades over time (the tracking gets harder or less reliable with each passing day) or there is some relatively simple way of foiling the tag.

I have not yet set a distance limitation; it may end up being "distance is not a factor so long as the tagged creature and the tracker are on the same plane."

I have not even determined exactly *how* the creature becomes easier to locate. Does the mystical tag boost the effectiveness of scrying methods? (It does *not*, in and of itself, permit scrying.)

Input on these and other parameters is not unwelcome, but what I am asking for is any reference a spell, magic item or weapon quality from any source (please attribute the source) that already does something like this. I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I'd go with giving the scryer the equivalent of the "possession of a nail clipping" bonus for scrying on the tagged creature : +10.

The arrow is unnecessary for use with Discern Location, since to shoot him, you had to see him, and if you've seen him, then you've got all you need for DL.

Locate Object works. You're not Locating the arrow, you're Locating the aura it leaves behind - not how Locate Object normally works, but it's a special case of how the item interacts with the spell.

-Hyp.

FANGO

First Post
There is a spell that does something like this, I think it's in magic of faerun or masters of the wild, and I don't remember what it's called, but it's a low-level ranger spell and it basically makes the person much easier to track, and makes an invisible mark on the person (and perhaps on the person's tracks?) that only the ranger can see. Look through those books and you'll find it in there somewhere.

edit: here it is. It's called "stalking brand", and its in magic of faerun. It only lets you tell if the person is disguised, though, but you could probably adapt it to fit your needs.

Last edited:

Damon Griffin

First Post
Discern Location seems overly powerful for what I want here: "nothing short of the intervention of a deity" keeps you from finding your target with that spell.

Locate Object is blocked by lead, which would be okay, but it seems like Locate Creature would be more appropriate here. Unfortunately, Locate Creature is blocked by running water, so odds are you couldn't trace someone very far with it.

Detect Magic only has a 60ft range, and the lingering aura from a spell of the probable level of a "hunter's mark" or whatever, would only last for a few minutes, so Detect Magic doesn't seem like a good basis for a long distance tracking device.

I've been digging through the various books I have, more or less just hoping to stumble across something that fits.

Arrow Charm from Relics & Rituals seems to be reasonably close; the spell may be a little awkward to use as is, since it has to be cast twice in order to be effective, and only has a range of 400ft + 40ft/level, but it might work as the basis for enchanting a magic item.

Sarmar's Coin Beacon, from the Kingdom of Kalamar Players Guide, has a much more useful range (as long as it's on the same plane), but it only indicates the direction to the marked object, no hint of distance is given.

These two spells are probably about as close to what I'm looking for as Stalking Brand. If I can't find anything closer in the next couple of days, some combination of those three spells may serve as the basis for enchanting a bundle of arrows.

Thanks for the input.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Have the arrow magically place an invisible Arcane Mark on the subject. The mark is the "bug". It can be detected through the normal means, and removed in same way that that a normal Arcane Mark is removed.

Then have another spell that can specifally track or scry on on targets with the mark. (Similar to the way that Dramij's Instant Summons can summon an object that has been Arcane Marked).

Make a 3rd level spell (same level as Scry) that allows you to track the mark, and possibly allows you to scry on them.

Taloras

First Post
Bastion Press: Arms & Armour

Trickle Sword: +2 longsword of wounding. Anyone struck by this sword is marked, and for 2d4 hours, a magical trail of blood is left behidn. This trail of blood is slight, but for anyone holding the sword, it appears to glow, (DC 10 track roll). The trail remains for 1 week. If the creature closes the wounds (heal check, cure spells), the effect ceases. The blood trail is magical in nature and cannot be wiped out by any means. However, it is only visible somewhere blod would normally stick. So no tracking thru a stream, or in midair.Pass without trace cancels the trickle effect for the duration of the spell, and dispel magic can be used to either stop the effect, or obliterate the trail.

Caster level 11th Prereq: Craft Magic Arms & Armor, locate creature. Market Price: 16315

Remove ads