• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e-when?

When will 4e be released?

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 4 2.9%

Votes: 36 25.7%

Votes: 25 17.9%

Votes: 37 26.4%

Votes: 7 5.0%

Votes: 15 10.7%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • There won't be a 4e/Later than any listed date.

Votes: 10 7.1%

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I'm with Umbran and ForceUser on this one. Who give's a rats keister about 4E speculation. Some people seem like it's just around the corner. I for one am completely happy with 3.5 and D20 in general and I'm not going to worry about a new edition that may or may not be coming out anytime soon.

As for the few that have stated on other posts that they wouldn't buy any more products if 4E is coming out in 2 years, well that's just silly IMO. Letting all this 4E nonsense over a fake press release get to you gets you nowhere. If people quit buying products now in the event that 4E may be coming out when it's not, will may WotC/Hasbro believe that a new edition may be needed due to dropping sales and just overall jabber on the message boards. Keep buying products that you want and show WotC that a new edition is neither needed or wanted.

If a new edition did come out in the next couple of years, I'm not sure that I'd be interested. I have tons of material for 3E and unlike 2E I'm completely happy. 4E would have to be an EXTREME improvement over 3.5, and for the life of me I can't see how D&D can get much better than this. A 4th edition this soon would either be simply another minor re-working of the rules, maybe making some UA material official, or a system that doesn't really look or feel like D&D anymore. Either way, I'm not likely to invest it in. Heck, there is still a ton of material that I haven't picked up yet that I would like to. Just buying old stuff would feel like new releases for me for a looooong time!

Just play 3.5 and be happy. 4E will come when it comes.

Kane

Pants

First Post
Umbran said:
I wonder why there's all this concern about when it will be out. It will come out when it comes out. Speculation on when it will come out and why serves only to get people's dander up at WotC, effectively convicting them before the crime is committed.
Because we, as a group of fans, like to complain about everything whether it is warranted or not. ;)

diaglo

Adventurer
ForceUser said:
We are at the zenith of the D&D experience in terms of game mechanics, product support and popularity; I fail to see how any future editon could significantly enhance it.

i've been saying this for years. :D

Original D&D (1974) is the only true game. All the other editions are just poor imitations of the real thing. :D

Aristotle

First Post
I voted 2010. Monte said, given the current climate, that he expects it about 2008. I'd be okay with a release between 2008 and 2010. A good role playing game should be able to stand 8 to 10 years before being replaced, and we just got 3.5 dangit.

I simply will not buy into a new version of the game if its released before 2008. I can't keep sinking money into games only to have my material become partially, or completely, obsolete just a couple of years after I invest in them. I'll move onto another game or make my own...

Painfully

First Post
It will come out about a year before it should.

It will present all sorts of changes and balance issues which they will "fix" 2 years later with 4.5e. :heh:

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Where was the choice that it is out already. 3.5 is realy 4E under another name. They promised backwards compatibility but they did not deliver. most of the 3E stuff is being rereleased so that it works with the new system. 4E is here already since 3.5 is a new version and not just a revision.

As for when 5E will be released 2006 seems about right for there schedule.

As for needing 5E I don't need it, but then I am happy with 3E which is still better than the new version they call 3.5.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
diaglo said:
ask EN about his speculation on the release of the 2000ed.

The difference, diaglo, is that at that time we'd had a decade without a new core rule book. Sure, after a decade and a few changes of management you begin to wonder. But 3.5e isnt a year old yet, and no major changes have come up. Ohter than our own paranoia, there's no particular reason to think about it yet.

Remove ads