WOIN A few more miscelaneous WOIN questions

Steven Barker

First Post
A few quick questions:

When a Marine Cadet (the NEW career) gets a "rifle" from their Light Sleeper career exploit, is that a ballistic rifle or can it be any kind of rifle (e.g. a disruptor or phaser rifle). How about exotic rifles? Can the rifle (or the Kevlar vest that you also receive) be higher than normal quality (e.g. to match the character's skill level either before or after their cadet assignment)?

Some older rules documents said that sonic, radiation and psionic damage bypass SOAK. That seems to be completely gone from the current rules (NEW 1.2). Is the current omission intended? Sonic weapons seem terrible without such a bonus. They deal very little damage and are expensive, plus the effect of their crits are mostly bad for the shooter since they give the victim even more soak against later shots. After a lot of searching I finally did find a place where it says "SOAK only applies to attacks which target DEFENSE (not MENTAL DEFENSE)", so that does make psionic damage avoid Soak, but there's nothing about the other types that I can find.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A few quick questions:

When a Marine Cadet (the NEW career) gets a "rifle" from their Light Sleeper career exploit, is that a ballistic rifle or can it be any kind of rifle (e.g. a disruptor or phaser rifle). How about exotic rifles? Can the rifle (or the Kevlar vest that you also receive) be higher than normal quality (e.g. to match the character's skill level either before or after their cadet assignment)?

Any kind from the basic list, not the exotic list. Standard quality.

Is the current omission intended?

Yes.

Steven Barker

First Post
Hmm, I guess sonic weapons are exclusively anti-crystal then.

One other question I realize I forgot about: There's a mention on page 97 of NEW that psionic damage can do stun damage. Is that a general thing (all psionic damage is stun), or is it only done some specific psionic weapons are non-lethal (i.e. the psionic chainsaw)?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hmm, I guess sonic weapons are exclusively anti-crystal then.

One other question I realize I forgot about: There's a mention on page 97 of NEW that psionic damage can do stun damage. Is that a general thing (all psionic damage is stun), or is it only done some specific psionic weapons are non-lethal (i.e. the psionic chainsaw)?

It says "some" psionic, electricity, and phaser modes.

kingpin000

Explorer
When I choose a career, do I have to take the exploits of the career at first or can I choose an universal exploit instead (even when I don't have any exploits of the career)?

knikpiw

Explorer
You are always free to do so, you are still taking the attributes and skills of that career so it's not breaking the career system if you did that for EVERY career you took

Remove ads