A lightning fast iaijutsu question

Shinsetsu

First Post
I noticed in the OA guide, pg. 82, in the example iaijutsu duel, that the 12th level Kakita samurai has an iaijutsu focus bonus +19. If the Iaijutsu skill is limited to 3 ranks above character level, as with other skills, then he should have a maximum rank of 15 possible at that level, unless the example includes a +4 bonus for the +4 katana, or adds an unmentioned charisma modifier or a +4 bonus from an iaijutsu focus feat to the total bonus. Is there some errata on this?

In other words, is iaijutsu limited to exp level +3 for maximum ranks (barring feats and ability modifiers)?

Black Omega

First Post
Shinsetsu said:
I noticed in the OA guide, pg. 82, in the example iaijutsu duel, that the 12th level Kakita samurai has an iaijutsu focus bonus +19. If the Iaijutsu skill is limited to 3 ranks above character level, as with other skills, then he should have a maximum rank of 15 possible at that level, unless the example includes a +4 bonus for the +4 katana, or adds an unmentioned charisma modifier or a +4 bonus from an iaijutsu focus feat to the total bonus. Is there some errata on this?

In other words, is iaijutsu limited to exp level +3 for maximum ranks (barring feats and ability modifiers)?

Keep in mind the +19 is ranks + cha + any skill focus. It says in the example combat that the crab samurai has 15 ranks in Iaijutsu focus, but he has a +16 total. The Crane could have either a +4 Cha bonus (not unlikely for someone focusing in iaijutsu) or a +2 and skill focus.

Shinsetsu

First Post
Thanks alot. I thought the iaijutsu skill would behave like other skills, at least as far as max ranks. I'd ask about taking 10 on it, but the conditions for making an iaijutsu strike don't seem to leave room for that, unless it's used to strike an inanimate object, in which you could take as much time as you wanted.

Shinsetsu

First Post
One more couple-a-three questions. How does uncanny dodge affect iaijutsu? If your target must be flat-footed to eat the extra damage, does uncanny dodge negate it in normal combat (during a duel, I'm sure there's no exceptions- the loser of initiative is "considered" to be flat-footed)?
If uncanny dodge does protect one from iaijutsu damage, is there a rule about an iaijutsu practitioner of 4 levels higher being able to make the strike count anyway?
And also, has anyone seen any reason to not combine iaijutsu with whirlwind attack?

"Cuz my balls is big, to be this brave. Princess Zelda is the one I save. Now you're playing with power. The nineteen eighties will never go sour"

The Legend of Zelda Rap
-Artist: Unknown

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
How does uncanny dodge affect iaijutsu?

Without having the book, my guess would be "it doesn't".

Uncanny Dodge doesn't prevent one from being flat-footed. It prevents one losing one's Dex bonus while flat-footed.

If the Iajutsu damage kicks in against an opponent who is denied his Dex bonus, Uncanny Dodge helps. If it works on someone who's flat-footed, Uncanny Dodge does nothing.

-Hyp.

Remove ads