WotBS Adapting Renard and Kathor for Pathfinder

thekwp

First Post
My party should run The Gauntlet this Wednesday night (see my campaign thread), so I am looking at how I adapt Renard Woodsman and Kathor Danava for a pathfinder conversion for Scouring of Gate Pass. There are a number of straight forward changes. For example, to maintained their calculated CR, each gets an additional class level. In the conversion over for race as well, each gets an attribute bonus increase of +2. Finally, by getting to 4th level, each gets a single bonus to an individual stat.

Renard receives a relatively straightforward conversion, but with one key choice. By getting to 4th level ranger, Renard gets Hunter's Bond: and must choose either hunting companions or an animal companion.

I am considering adapting Kathor as a cavalier, rather than a fighter. I am debating if I should make Kathor a sorcerer or a magus, using the eldritch scion archetype. If I choose any bloodline other than arcane, or if I use the eldritch scion magus option, Kathor does not have a familiar.

From the perspective of style, I like the idea of Kathor either with the Dreamspun bloodline or the eldritch scion archetype. Kathor's familiar has no in game play impact, but has an impact on the campaign -- it is the method by which Renard and Kathor communicate. Without a familiar, perhaps Renard and Kathor should communicate via messages carried by Renard's animal companion. My impression from looking at the battle is that I do not think giving Renard an animal companion mount will significantly change the encounter.

Most of this is important to work out so that the party's latter encounter with Kathor in The Festival of Dreams has a coherent evolution. It may not matter at all, but I can see where the party might interact enough to remember key things. I hope that Kathor does make enough of an impression to stick in my player's minds eight adventures later.

For game masters who have run this in Pathfinder, what did you do?

For game masters who ran this in D&D 3.5 but have played Pathfinder since, what choices would you recommend based on your experiences?

I'll post up my final conversions, as well as how it goes of course, but would love to get some feedback prior to the actual game.

thekwp

First Post
Renard, Ranger 4

Posted blow is the pretty straightforward conversion of Renard to Ranger 4 pathfinder. I have another version that is more closely adapted to my campaign and custom rule sets, but this should be a straightforward conversion.

I raised Renard's Dex with the level 4 attribute bonus, and use the racial attribute bonus to Strength, to allow for a strength enhanced bow. I changed Point Blank Shot to Deadly Aim, as that seemed a more dangerous option for a ranger who was not focused on getting to shoot into melee. I expanded the equipment list to include some minor addition's for the mount (bit & bridle, saddle, etc.). I choose Favored Terrain (Mountain) as being the only terrain that would matter in this scenario.

I have not yet specified if Renard's horse should be his animal companion, or if he should have a bird to facilitate communication with Kathor inside of Gate pass.

RENARD WOODMAN
CR 3 (
XP 800)
Male human ranger 4
LE Medium humanoid (human)
Init +3; Senses Perception +6

DEFENSE
AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor (+1 chainshirt), +3 Dex)
hp 30 (4d10+4)
Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +1
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Ranged masterwork composite longbow (str +1) +8 (1d8+1/x3)
Ranged masterwork composite longbow (str +1) [deadly aim] +6 (1d8+5/x3)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks favored enemy humanoid (elf) +2
STATISTICS

Str 12, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 13
Base Atk +4; CMB +5; CMD 18
Feats Deadly Aim, Endurance, Mounted Archery, Mounted Combat, Rapid Shot
Skills Acrobatics +2 , Climb +0 , Escape Artist +2 , Fly +2 , Handle Animal +8 , Heal +6 , Intimidate +8 , Knowledge (Geography) +9 , Knowledge (Nature) +9 , Perception +6 , Ride +10 , Stealth +9 , Survival +6 , Survival (Follow or identify tracks) +8 , Swim +0
Languages Common, Elven, Orc
SQ animal companion, bonus feat, combat style feat, favored terrain (mountain) +2, skilled, track +2, wild empathy +5
Gear chain shirt +1, masterwork composite longbow (str +1), cloak of resistance +1, black horse helmet (+1 competence bonus on Ride checks, faint transmutation, market value 100 gp), arrow (40), coin (gold piece) (40), horse (light/combat trained) [carrying barding (leather/horse), bit and bridle, saddle (military), saddlebags]
SPECIAL ABILITIES

Animal Companion (Ex)
Combat Style Feat (Ex) archery
Favored Enemy (Humanoid (Elf)) (Ex) You gain a +2 bonus on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks when using these skills against elves. Likewise, you get a +2 bonus on weapon attack and damage rolls against such creatures You may make Knowledge Skill checks untrained to identify such creatures.
Favored Terrain (Mountain) (Ex) You gain a +2 bonus on Knowledge (Geography), Perception, Stealth, and Survival checks when using these skills in mountain terrain (including hills). Likewise, you get a +2 bonus on initiative checks when in this terrain. If you desire, you leave no trail in this terrain and cannot be tracked.
Track (Ex) You gain +2 to Survival checks made to follow tracks.
Wild Empathy (Ex) You can improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person. You roll 1d20+5 to determine the Wild Empathy check result. The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly. To use Wild Empathy, you and the animal must be within 30 feet of one another under normal circumstances. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute, but as with influencing people, it might take more or less time. You can use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, but you take a -4 penalty on the check.

TEMPORARY BONUSES
Temporary Bonuses Applied Deadly Aim,

Last edited:

thekwp

First Post
Kathor, Cavalier 2 / Fighter 1/ Sorcerer 1

Adapting Kathor is proving much more difficult, partially because of flavor and style choices, and partial because of wanting to have something the fits for where Kathor will end up, with the Trillith Justice.

Advancing Kathor to 4th level grants him an attribute point. I applied this to Strength. I also applied his racial attribute bonus as a human to Strength.

Cavalier seemed the obvious choice for Kathor, especially given his focus as a mounted warrior. Given the way that Kathor is described in the adventure, I consider Order of the Dragon or Order of the Sword. I settled on Order of the Sword because of where the campaign takes him in The Festival of Dreams. I added one level of fighter to two cavalier for the extra feat, thus keeping all the mounted feats with Power-Attack to support Kathor's favored tactics. With Kathor's eventual role in mind, the choice of Destined for sorcerer bloodline seemed appropriate as well.

I put Kathor's favored class as Cavalier, and both ranks into HP. For Kathor's total skills (10), I put 1 into Bluff, 1 into Diplomacy, 3 Handle Animal, 1 Intimidate, 1 Knowledge (Nobility), 4 in Ride, and 1 in Sense Motive.

I think the below represents a modestly faithful adaptation of Kathor to Pathfinder.

KATHOR DANAVA
CR3 (XP 800)

Male human cavalier (order of the sword) 2 / fighter 1 / sorcerer (destined) 1
LG Medium humanoid (human)
Init +1; Senses Perception +0

DEFENSE

AC 22, touch 10, flat-footed 22 (+8 armor, +4 shield spell)
hp 34 (4 HD; 3d10+1d6+10)
Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +4

OFFENSE

Speed 20 ft.
Melee masterwork greatsword (two handed) +8 (2d6+6/19-20); or
Melee masterwork greatsword [power attack] (two handed) +7 (2d6+9/19-20); or
Ranged composite longbow str +0 +4 (1d8/x3; or)
Ranged tanglefoot bag +4 (/none/x0); or
Ranged net +0 (/none/x0); or
Melee sword, short +7 (1d6+4/19-20)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks challenge
Known Sorcerer Spells (CL 1st, concentration +2): 1st (4/day)—shield, true strike
0 (at will)—detect magic, detect poison, light, mending

STATISTICS

Str 18, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12
Base Atk +3; CMB +7; CMD 18
Feats Cavalry Formation, Eschew Materials, Mounted Combat, Power Attack, Ride-By Attack, Spirited Charge
Skills Acrobatics -6 , Acrobatics (Jump) -10 , Bluff +5 , Climb -3 , Diplomacy +5 , Escape Artist -6 , Fly -6 , Handle Animal +7 , Intimidate +5 , Knowledge (Nobility) +3 , Ride +1 , Sense Motive +4 , Stealth -6 , Swim -3
Languages Common
SQ bloodline arcana, By My Honor (LG; Will), cantrips, Destined bloodline, Mount, Order of the Sword, Tactician (cavalry formation), Touch of Destiny
Combat Gear potion of cure light wounds (2), tanglefoot bag (2); Other Gear half-plate, barding (banded mail/large/nonhumanoid), masterwork greatsword, masterwork greatsword, composite longbow str +0, tanglefoot bag (2), net, sword, short, arrow (40), passport diplomatic (gate pass), horse (heavy/combat trained), saddle (military), saddlebags, bit and bridle, coin (gold piece) (350)

SPECIAL ABILITIES

Bloodline Arcana Whenever you cast a spell with a range of "personal," you gain a luck bonus equal to the spell's level on all your saving throws for 1 round.
By My Honor (Ex) At 2nd level, the cavalier must select one alignment (LG). As long as he maintains the selected alignment, he receives a +2 morale bonus to one saving throw of his choice (Will).
Cantrips You learn a number of cantrips, or 0-level spells. These spells are cast like any other spells, but they do not consume any slots and may be used again.
Challenge (Ex) 1/day [Swift Action], you can challenge a foe to combat. Choose one target within sight to challenge. Your melee attacks deal 2 extra damage whenever the attacks are made against the target of the challenge. Challenging a foe requires much of the cavalier's concentration. The cavalier takes a -2 penalty to his Armor Class, except against attacks made by the target of his challenge. The challenge remains in effect until the target is dead or unconscious or until the combat ends. An Order of the Sword cavalier receives a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls against the target of his challenge so long as he is astride his mount. The bonus increases by +1 for every four levels the cavalier possesses.
Destined Bloodline Your family is destined for greatness in some way. Your birth could have been foretold in prophecy, or perhaps it occurred during an especially auspicious event, such as a solar eclipse. Regardless of its origin, you have a great future ahead of you.
Eschew Materials
Mount (Ex) A cavalier gains the service of a loyal and trusty steed to carry him into battle. This mount functions as a druid's animal companion, using the cavalier's level as his effective druid level. The creature must be one that he is capable of riding and is suitable as a mount. A Medium cavalier can select a camel or a horse. A Small cavalier can select a pony or wolf, but can also select a boar or a dog if he is at least 4th level. The GM might approve other animals as suitable mounts. A cavalier does not take an armor check penalty on Ride checks while riding his mount. The mount is always considered combat trained and begins play with Light Armor Proficiency as a bonus feat. A cavalier's mount does not gain the share spells special ability. A cavalier's bond with his mount is strong, with the pair learning to anticipate each other's moods and moves. Should a cavalier's mount die, the cavalier may find another mount to serve him after 1 week of mourning. This new mount does not gain the link, evasion, devotion, or improved evasion special abilities until the next time the cavalier gains a level.
Order (Ex) A cavalier must pledge himself to a specific order. The order grants the cavalier a number of bonuses, class skills, and special abilities. In addition, each order includes a number of edicts that the cavalier must follow. If he violates any of these edicts, he loses the benefits from his order's challenge ability for 24 hours. The violation of an edict is subject to GM interpretation. A cavalier cannot change his order without undertaking a lengthy process to dedicate himself to a new cause. When this choice is made, he immediately loses all of the benefits from his old order. He must then follow the edicts of his new order for one entire level without gaining any benefits from that order. Once accomplished, he gains all of the bonuses from his new order. Note that the names of these orders might vary depending upon the campaign setting or GM's preference.
Order of the Sword Whenever the cavalier uses Sense Motive to oppose a Bluff check, he receives a competence bonus on the check equal to 1/2 his cavalier level (minimum +1)
Tactician A cavalier receives a teamwork feat as a bonus feat. He must meet the prerequisites for this feat. As a standard action, the cavalier can grant this feat to all allies within 30 feet who can see and hear him. Allies retain the use of this bonus feat for 4 rounds. Allies do not need to meet the prerequisites of these bonus feats. The cavalier can use this ability 1 times per day.
Tactician (Cavalry Formation) (Ex) A cavalier receives a teamwork feat (CATEGORY=FEAT|Cavalry Formation) as a bonus feat. He must meet the prerequisites for this feat. As a standard action, the cavalier can grant this feat to all allies within 30 feet who can see and hear him. Allies retain the use of this bonus feat for 4 rounds. Allies do not need to meet the prerequisites of these bonus feats. The cavalier can use this ability 1 times per day.
Touch of Destiny (Su) You can touch a creature as a standard action to give it a +1 insight bonus on attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws for 1 round. You can use this ability 4 times a day.

TEMPORARY BONUSES
Temporary Bonuses Applied Power Attack (Two-Handed), Shield spell

thekwp

First Post
Kathor, Cavalier 2 / Magus (Eldritch Scion) 2 [alt version of Kathor]

This is an alternate adaptation of Kathor and the basis for the one I will use in my campaign. I think that the higher lever version encountered later will adapt more interestingly to a version based on the Eldritch Scion archetype for Magus, rather than a sorcerer level that disappears into special abilities.

With this in mind, I adjusted his starting ability scores slightly, resulting in slightly lower STR and a slightly higher CHA. Removing the level of fighter and going with two levels of Magus (Eldritch Scion) also results in the lose of a feat, and a dropped Spirited Charge. Both the attribute change and the feat change make him slightly weaker in melee that the version I posted above. Also, his spell selection is poorly chosen to maximize his magus spell strike abilities. To me, this fits in with the description of Kathor understanding his abilities poorly and not necessarily making optimum uses of them.

For skills, I went with Bluff 1 rank, Diplomacy 2 ranks, Handle Animal 2 ranks, Intimidate 2 ranks, Knowledge (nobility) 1 rank, and Ride 4 ranks. The other skills listed as at default untrained. Both ranks of favored class were added as hit points.

KATHOR DANAVA
CR 3 (XP 800)

Male human cavalier 2 / magus (eldritch scion) 2
LG Medium humanoid (human)
Init +1; Senses Perception +0
DEFENSE
AC 22, touch 10, flat-footed 22 (+8 armor, +4 shield)
hp 34 (4 HD; 2d10+2d8+10)
Fort +8, Ref +1, Will +5
OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft.
Melee masterwork greatsword (two handed) +7 (2d6+4/19-20)
Melee masterwork greatsword [power attack] (two handed) +6 (2d6+7/19-20)
Ranged composite longbow str +0 +4 (1d8/x3)
Ranged tanglefoot bag +4 (/none/x0)
Ranged net +0 (/none/x0)
Melee sword, short +6 (1d6+3/19-20)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Challenge, Destined Strike, Spell Combat, Spellstrike
Known Magus (Eldritch Scion) Spells (CL 2nd, concentration +4): 1st (5/day)—expeditious retreat, shield, true strike
0 (at will)—daze (DC 12), light, open/close (DC 12), spark (DC 12)

STATISTICS

Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 15
Base Atk +3; CMB +6; CMD 17
Feats Cavalry Formation, Mounted Combat, Power Attack, Ride-By Attack
Skills Acrobatics -6 , Acrobatics (Jump) -10 , Bluff +6 , Climb -4 , Diplomacy +7 , Escape Artist -6 , Fly -6 , Handle Animal +7 , Intimidate +7 , Knowledge (Nobility) +3 , Ride +1 , Stealth -6 , Swim -4
Languages Common
SQ By My Honor (LG, Will), Cantrips, Destined Bloodline, Eldritch Pool, Mount, Order of the Sword, Spell Combat, Spells, Tactician (cavalry formation)
Combat Gear potion of cure light wounds (2), tanglefoot bag (2);
Other Gear half-plate, barding (banded mail/large/nonhumanoid), masterwork greatsword, masterwork greatsword, composite longbow str +0, tanglefoot bag (2), net, sword, short, arrow (40), passport diplomatic (gate pass), horse (heavy/combat trained), saddle (military), saddlebags, bit and bridle, coin (gold piece) (350)
SPECIAL ABILITIES

By My Honor (Will, LG) (Ex) At 2nd level, the cavalier must select one alignment. As long as he maintains the selected alignment, he receives a +2 morale bonus to one saving throw of his choice.
Cantrips You can prepare a number of cantrips, or 0-level spells, each day. These spells are cast like any other spell, but they are not expended when cast and may be used again.
Challenge (Ex) 1/day [Swift Action], you can challenge a foe to combat. Choose one target within sight to challenge. Your melee attacks deal 2 extra damage whenever the attacks are made against the target of the challenge. Challenging a foe requires much of the cavalier's concentration. The cavalier takes a -2 penalty to his Armor Class, except against attacks made by the target of his challenge. The challenge remains in effect until the target is dead or unconscious or until the combat ends. Each cavalier's challenge also includes another effect which is listed in the section describing the cavalier's order. He receives a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls against the target of his challenge so long as he is astride his mount. The bonus increases by +1 for every four levels the cavalier possesses.
Destined Bloodline Your bloodline is destined for great things.
Destined Strike (Sp) As a free action, you can grant one of your melee attacks a +1 insight bonus. You may use this ability up to 3 times per day.
Eldritch Pool (Su) An eldritch scion gains an eldritch pool of personal magical energy, equal to 1/2 his magus level (minimum 1) + his Charisma modifier. As a swift action, he can spend a point of eldritch energy to enter a state of mystical focus for 2 rounds. This allows him to use abilities from his bloodrager bloodline as though he were in a bloodrage, though he gains none of the other benefits or drawbacks of bloodraging. At 4th level, an eldritch scion can also use his eldritch pool as an arcane pool, gaining all the benefits listed with the magus's arcane pool Class Feature.Magus Class Feature. Additionally, any magus's class feature or spell from the magus spell list that normally uses a calculation based on Intelligence is instead based on Charisma for an eldritch scion. For example, an eldritch scion with the arcane accuracy magus arcana grants himself an insight bonus on attacks equal to his Charisma bonus, not his Intelligence bonus. This has no effect on the eldritch scion's skills or skill points. This ability replaces arcane pool, and abilities that modify arcane pool also modify eldritch pool.
Mount (Ex) A cavalier gains the service of a loyal and trusty steed to carry him into battle. This mount functions as a druid's animal companion, using the cavalier's level as his effective druid level. The creature must be one that he is capable of riding and is suitable as a mount. A Medium cavalier can select a camel or a horse. A Small cavalier can select a pony or wolf, but can also select a boar or a dog if he is at least 4th level. The GM might approve other animals as suitable mounts. A cavalier does not take an armor check penalty on Ride checks while riding his mount. The mount is always considered combat trained and begins play with Light Armor Proficiency as a bonus feat. A cavalier's mount does not gain the share spells special ability. A cavalier's bond with his mount is strong, with the pair learning to anticipate each other's moods and moves. Should a cavalier's mount die, the cavalier may find another mount to serve him after 1 week of mourning. This new mount does not gain the link, evasion, devotion, or improved evasion special abilities until the next time the cavalier gains a level.
Order of the Sword Whenever the cavalier uses Sense Motive to oppose a Bluff check, he receives a competence bonus on the check equal to 1/2 his cavalier level (minimum +1)
Spell Combat (Ex) An eldritch scion can only use spell combat while in a state of mystic focus (see eldritch pool, above). At 8th level, an eldritch scion can use spell combat at any time. This ability alters spell combat.
Spell Combat (Ex) You can cast spells and wield your weapons at the same time. This functions much like two-weapon fighting, but the offhand weapon is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability, you must have one hand free (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components), while wielding a light or one-handed melee weapon in the other hand. As a full-round action, you can make all of your attacks with your melee weapon at a -2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty). If you cast this spell defensively, you can decide to take an additional penalty on your attack rolls, up to your Intelligence bonus, and add the same amount as a circumstance bonus on your concentration check. If the check fails, the spell is wasted, but the attacks still take the penalty. You can choose to cast the spell first or make the weapon attacks first, but if you have more than one attack, you cannot cast the spell between weapon attacks.
Spellstrike (Ex) Whenever you cast a spell with a range of "touch" from the magus spell list, you can deliver the spell through any weapon you are wielding as part of a melee attack. Instead of the free melee touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, a magus can make one free melee attack with his weapon (at his highest base attack bonus) as part of casting this spell. If successful, this melee attack deals its normal damage as well as the effects of the spell. If you make this attack in concert with spell combat, this melee attack takes all the penalties accrued by spell combat melee attacks. This attack uses the weapon's critical range (20, 19-20, or 18-20 and modified by the keen weapon property or similar effects), but the spell effect only deals x2 damage on a successful critical hit, while the weapon damage uses its own critical modifier.
Tactician (Cavalry Formation) (Ex) A cavalier receives a teamwork feat (CATEGORY=FEAT|Cavalry Formation) as a bonus feat. He must meet the prerequisites for this feat. As a standard action, the cavalier can grant this feat to all allies within 30 feet who can see and hear him. Allies retain the use of this bonus feat for 4 rounds. Allies do not need to meet the prerequisites of these bonus feats. The cavalier can use this ability 1 times per day.
TEMPORARY BONUSES

Temporary Bonuses Applied Power Attack (Two-Handed), shield spell

Remove ads