Admit it. Who else did this?

ThirdWizard

First Post
I completely misinterprieted rolling for hit points. I thought you rolled 1dX at 1st level, 2dX at 2nd level, 3dX at third level, 4dX at fourth level and so on, cumulatively. So a 3rd level character would end up having 6 Hit Dice. I always wondered why the PCs had so much darn hp compared to the monsters.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
tensen said:
I remember cleaning out the Keep on the Borderlands...
the keep, not the caves. :)
I was 8 at the time, but I figured that since it was the name of the adventure, it must be an evil place and should be rid of everyone.

Hey, did you game at the Village Depot in Bedford NH, too? Oh wait, you were only 8, a little young to be part of that group (I was 11 at the time). I guess more than one group thought the same way.

vic20

Fool
Geron Raveneye said:
...the ones from Steve Jackson games...

Are you talking about the Steve Jackson "Sorcery" choose-your-own adventure books? Those were incredibly cool.

As an aside, the Steve Jackson that did those books is not the same Steve Jackson of Steve Jackson Games. Both provided me with lots of gaming fun, but they are indeed different people.

havoclad

Explorer
Quasqueton said:
Yep. I always work under the concept that my Players are smarter than me. I have many times created a "room" that I didn't know how to "solve", and figured the Players (4+ brains) could figure it out.

Ironically, if I make a "room" with the simplist "solution" (push the button), the Players spend half the game session trying to figure it out, and then somehow manage to TPK themselves.

Quasqueton

Amen! My players were stumped for nearly an hour over a simple metal rod inbedding in the ceiling of a hallway during RTTTOE. The player of the Rogue was absent, and they were horribly afraid of this obvious trap.

On the other hand, I've learned that I can never assume a room is unreachable, or a NPC unkillable.

Dakkareth

First Post
There was this one door, that wouldn't open until a magical sigil on the ground was removed, it said so in the description. The players tried stuff for about 15 minutes ranging from the idiotic to the ingenious, but all I repeated was 'Nope, that doesn't work', except for the time where I ruled that their weapons were now damaged after they tried to open the door with their swords. Eventually after 15 minutes of boredom one of them hit upon the obscure method needed to erase the sigil and they could proceed.

It was my first (and only) time DMing. I was seven (7). I still cringe at the thought of it. :confused:

... but hey, some of the other stuff I did wasn't even all that bad :p.

Staffan

Legend
vic20 said:
As an aside, the Steve Jackson that did those books is not the same Steve Jackson of Steve Jackson Games. Both provided me with lots of gaming fun, but they are indeed different people.
Just to make it more confusing, Steve "SJ Games" Jackson wrote some of the Fighting Fantasy books. According to his bibliography, he's written "Scorpion Swamp, Demons of the Deep, Robot Commando, Battle Road, and (with Creede and Sharleen Lambard) Fuel's Gold." I'm not sure all of those are in the Fighting Fantasy series, but I'm pretty sure Scorpion Swamp is.

glass

(he, him)
vic20 said:
It took me years to work that out. I kept wondering why there was nothing about the choose-your-own-adventure books on SJG's web site.

glass.

GreyShadow

Explorer
My first experience playing D&D, we played in the Keep like others. I'm not sure if we went room by room numerically or not. What we did was roll to hit against the monsters armour class, and if we rolled higher than the AC we hit. The harder the monster the easier it became to kill them. :)

JVisgaitis

Explorer
I never did that specifically, but I do remember carrying around 42 helmets, 101 spears, bunk beds, and anything else I could get my hands on. Looking back it was pretty funny. Oh, and when I was a kid, magic missile was a glowing energy ball that worked like a conventional missile that was shot from a long bow. It used to blow up towers, orcs, and whatever else. Those were the days...

rvalle

First Post
Ranes said:
The first couple of times I ran games of D&D, I used published adventures (honestly can't remember which ones). I'd hide the module inside a copy of something else, like a copy of WD, so my players couldn't tell what I was running. But then I'd ruin everything by failing to hold back info, saying things like:

"On the far side of the room, you see a trapped chest."

Or

"There are doors leading leading east and west and a hidden one to the south."

D'oh.

Heh. We had a dm do the same thing to us one.

We were walking along a road when he says:
"On the ground you see the head of a high level ranger"
I asked the dm if he had that engraved on his forhead. :)

rv

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads