Adventures Dark and Deep Bestiary

Tharen the Damned

First Post
I want to pimp the adventures-dark-and-deep-bestiary

Fo those (like me) who have been burned by late or no delivery kickstarter projects: Josph Bloch delivered ths Players Manual Kickstarter EARLIER than proposed! That and the fact that the book is already written are good indicators that the book will be on time!

Now without further ado back to the adventures-dark-and-deep-bestiary:

A book of more than 900 monsters for the Adventures Dark and Deep game, but usable with many Old School RPG systems.

Adventures Dark and Deep™ is an attempt to explore what the world's most popular role-playing game might have looked like if its creator had been allowed to continue developing it, rather than leaving TSR in 1985.

The game is based on extensive research into Gary Gygax's public statements about his vision for the next edition of the game*, using the game's 1st edition rules as a jumping off point. It's not a retro-clone, but an entirely new game with a very familiar feel.

The Bestiary is the last of three core rule books for Adventures Dark and Deep™ (the Players Manual has already been successfully published, and the Game Masters Toolkit is scheduled to be released in May).

It will be approximately 450 pages and will be lavishly adorned with interior b&w art and a full-color cover. It contains around 900 creatures to use in the game (including almost all those from the original three monster books, finally collected in a single volume, plus scores of new creatures), and can also be used with almost every other 1E-compatible game.

Adventures Dark and Deep™ is designed to be played as a stand-alone game, but can also be used as a source of inspiration and new ideas for your existing game.

The rules for Adventures Dark and Deep™ are completely written and have undergone an extensive 18 month open playtest. Feedback from that playtest has been incorporated into the rules, ensuring that they are complete, workable, and above all, fun.

The proceeds from this Kickstarter campaign will be used to pay for the artwork and professional editing. This is how that's going to work:

If we make our initial modest goal, we'll be able to pay for a nice cover and editing for the book. We can then publish it as a (mostly) art-free book, which would still include all 900 monsters, but there would be almost no interior art.

But...

For every $25 we go over the initial goal, we will be able to illustrate an additional creature. If we make it all the way to $24,000 total, that means we'll have a brand-new piece of art for each and every one of the 900 monsters in the book!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm a little confused about this bestiary: Are these monsters that EGG alluded to, but never wrote up? Monsters using systems that Adventures Dark & Deep introduces? Or are these simply (although it's not a bad thing) OSR-flavored new monsters?

Tharen the Damned

First Post
From the Blurb:

It contains around 900 creatures to use in the game including almost all those from the original three monster books, finally collected in a single volume, plus scores of new creatures.

Means most of the Monsters from the original MM I & II and Fiend Folio and new monsters (although I don't know how many will be new).

All written up using the adventures dark and deep system but usable with most OSR games.

Remove ads