Aeon (updated 10/9/14)

Rackhir

Explorer
Has anyone fully read the Malazan series, at least Erikson's main 10 books? I've only made it through GotM and about 1/3 of Deadhouse Gates and haven't touched it in months. How would those of you who have read a significant portion of it compare it to The Tales of Wyre? And yes, that is a very intentionally open-ended question.
I didn't really care for what I read of Eriksons books. I read at least 1 maybe two of his and they just didn't grab me.

Rackhir

Explorer
I can't speak for everyone, but I will just say that I am forever grateful to Sep and his players for providing us with such a wonderful story that will stick with me until I die. His incredible creativity, writing style, and his friends/PCs were so amazing in realizing an astonishing world. They all really did raise the bar, IMHO. In fact, I was on a video chat today with several colleagues, just catching up, shooting the sh...breeze. They mentioned the new D&D movie (though I'll never again set foot in a movie theater), so I had to bring up Wyre again thanks to a piece of art one of our artists posted in chat (I work at a video game studio that makes a fantasy video game) that would have made Mostin salivate with glee. I had to mention the Ú and Ghom, just to help them understand true terror. :)

I remember posting in his original thread asking about Eadric and Lady Despina and asking about the nature of demons in his cosmology.

Nwm destroying the army is one of those bits that will stay with me until I die.

Mostin gave me Nameless and no doubt launched a thousand other alienists.

The one thing I would most like to know from Sep was how he made 3E work at those power levels.

Rackhir

Explorer
That’s somewhat covered via the crunch threads in https://www.enworld.org/threads/eadric-et-al-the-paladin-and-his-friends.5652/ but you know that already, @Rackhir ;)

Do you have a more-specific Q about high- and epic-level play perhaps?

Allan.
That thread was (from what I can recall) mostly about what the characters and monsters were.

The biggest issue with High level 3E that I found, was that things became very binary. Either you will hit the monster virtually every time or you have essentially no chance to hit. You either pretty much can't fail the save or you have no chance of making it. Etc... Because when you are talking numbers much greater than 20 (one iteration of Shomei had an 89 ac), the die roll becomes almost irrelevant.

Given the power levels in the campaign got to the point where they dwarfed anything I've ever played with, I'm curious about how that was overcome.

Last edited:

Remove ads