D&D 5E After-the-fact Inspiration

G

Guest 6801328

Inspiration should be used to re-roll after a failure, not to gain advantage on a roll. It would be less likely (as in, 0% chance) to be wasted, which means players wouldn't save it for that One Important Roll so long that they forget they have it, and as a result would be more likely to actually get used, which in turn would help both players and DMs remember that the mechanic exists.

I think it's worth noting that they sometimes use it as a reroll on Acquisitions Inc., despite the fact that that show is DMed by the actual game designers. Now it is a fast, loose, and played for laughs form of D&D, but still...

When using rules as written I have played through hundreds of hours of play with it on my various character sheets, and maybe one time I actually used the inspiration.

Inspiration should be used to re-roll after a failure, not to gain advantage on a roll. It would be less likely (as in, 0% chance) to be wasted, which means players wouldn't save it for that One Important Roll so long that they forget they have it, and as a result would be more likely to actually get used, which in turn would help both players and DMs remember that the mechanic exists.

I've actually never seen a 5E group that doesn't let you use Inspiration as a re-roll. I mean, it's not RAW, sure but I've played with what, five-six different 5E DMs and they all did that.

Also note the Baldur's Gate 3 computer game, developed with WotC looking over the shoulder, which tries to follow 5E rules closely (and generally does follow very closely) very specifically treats Inspiration as a re-roll.

G

Guest 6801328

I've actually never seen a 5E group that doesn't let you use Inspiration as a re-roll. I mean, it's not RAW, sure but I've played with what, five-six different 5E DMs and they all did that.

Also note the Baldur's Gate 3 computer game, developed with WotC looking over the shoulder, which tries to follow 5E rules closely (and generally does follow very closely) very specifically treats Inspiration as a re-roll.
All evidence that it should be raw, no?

All evidence that it should be raw, no?

I'd definitely say so, yes. It's one of those cases of it making sense, and being extremely commonly run that way, so if it still exists in 6E, I'd be surprised if it wasn't clearly called out as optionally a re-roll, rather than just Advantage.

Remove ads