Against the Slave Lords / Scourge of the Slave Lords

io9

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Against the Slave Lords

All in all it is a pretty neat concept. A party of relatively tough adventurers gets captured by slavers, taken to the slavers home Island — which is also an active volcano and contains its own pirate/slave city, as well as the Slavelord’s stronghold. I have fond memories of my time playing Against the Slave Lords, particularly my struggles in the belly of the slave galley. It’s one of those more poignant moments that can just stay with you. Plotting and planning to overpower the slave masters with nothing but the manacles that keep you chained and knowing that even though you have a decent amount of hit points your armor class is basically nothing, and wondering if you can pull it off before they beat you down.

Neuroglyph

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Against the Slave Lords

Overall, I was very impressed with Against the Slave Lords and think it has merit for any OSR gamers, as well as D&D fans of any edition. The adventures are fun, exciting, and are a good mix of combats, traps, and exploration. The new addition of A0, the prequel module, makes this series quite useful as a mini-campaign for a new set of adventurers to experience. Being AD&D based, it allows for translation into a number of different OSR rulesets (DCC, 13th Age, etc.), or into material for the D&D Next playtest. The book is designed to feel great and look great, with a gorgeous cover and binding, and excellent quality pages. And its got that decent "heft" to it. It would not surprise me that many old AD&D gamers might pick it up just to have on the shelf, a charming memento of the glory days of TSR. The price point for this release of Against the Slave Lords is very reasonable, given the price of buying individual modules these days. This compilation is a lovely bit of work, a mixture of old and new, and well worth consideration by any D&D fan.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
5 out of 5 rating for Against the Slave Lords / Scourge of the Slave Lords

...both as player and GM. The story may appear relatively simple, but it requires the PCs to think out of the box a few times and make do with very little. And it is not all dungeons, there are cities, wilderness, caves and an island. Worth to convert it to Pathfinder or another system of your choice, too.

Remove ads