• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alchemy vs SR

ogre

First Post
I play a sorceror who's big on alchemy. I make all the cool stuff, alchemny fire, tangle foot bags etc. I was wondering if Spell resistance would apply to any of the stuff that the alchemy skill can make. ANy thoughts?

ogre

First Post
That's cool. That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. I mean it's natural in a way... but not really.
I had another question too.
I had a plan to:
Throw a tanglefoot bag and get someone caught and then whap them with Alchemist fire.
Now, under tanglefoot bag it specifically states that only 'slashing' damage will remove it, so it seems the alchemist fire won't burn off the goo, as reason would seem to dictate. Is this correct?

hong

WotC's bitch
ogre said:
Now, under tanglefoot bag it specifically states that only 'slashing' damage will remove it, so it seems the alchemist fire won't burn off the goo, as reason would seem to dictate. Is this correct?

Eh. The description states that a character needs to deal damage "with a slashing weapon". This means that IF you want to bash your way out of it, a club or a spear won't do; you need something that can cut the stuff. It doesn't rule out other methods that don't involve bashing.

ogre

First Post
hong,
are you implying that fire damage is the same as 'damage from a slashing weapon'?
My question was: will the alchemist fire do damage to the goo.

ogre

First Post
My point is that the desciption says 'damage from a slashing weapon', meaning that the damage has to be slashing to affect the goo. Otherwise, wouldn't it just state that 'bludgeon' damage doesn't work? Why would it state 'slashing' if its intent was to only illiminate bludgeon damage? It seems that it states slashing, because cutting it is the ONLY way to get out of the goo.

hong

WotC's bitch
ogre said:
My point is that the desciption says 'damage from a slashing weapon', meaning that the damage has to be slashing to affect the goo. Otherwise, wouldn't it just state that 'bludgeon' damage doesn't work? Why would it state 'slashing' if its intent was to only illiminate bludgeon damage? It seems that it states slashing, because cutting it is the ONLY way to get out of the goo.

It doesn't say you can only deal slashing damage to the goo. It says you need a slashing _weapon_ to deal damage to the goo; in other words, IF you use a weapon, it must do slashing damage. If you do NOT use a weapon, the restriction is immaterial. You can use acid, fire, or anything else, subject to the restriction that energy attacks usually deals half damage to objects (PHB p.135).

Remove ads