Alea Iacta Story Hour: A Mythic Rome Campaign (Baby Announcement: 8/17)

Orichalcum

First Post
Simon Jester said:
I'm reasonably certain that the privilege doesn't extend toward traitors which, given the charge of aiding and conspiring with enemies of the Empire, Otho would be considered to be. Given his social status and candidacy, I'd bet he was given a pugio and allowed to salvage his family's honor.

Cerebral Paladin was correct to remind me that Otho wasn't actually formally arrested, as he is under the protection of the law until the election season is over. Simon Jester is quite correct, though, that he's essentially under house arrest with heavy encouragement towards honorable suicide.

Meloch the Pygmy

First Post
It wasn't easy, deciding to die. At first it seemed the only way out of getting tortured and shaming Domina Cornelia -- and after so completely botching the theft of Publicola's toga, it seemed the least I could do. I had been looking for the opportunity for days. Ideally an opportunity that wouldn't actually kill me, but you know, I would have considered the other sort, too.

I managed to hide my intentions from Shast. He's better suited to life in a villa than on the road -- and I wanted him to make sure Cornelia was all right. Then, just before the fight at the Coliseum, Publicola agreed to drop the suit. That was a bit of a shock. It looked like I wouldn't be tortured after all.

But I realized I was still a liability to Cornelia. She had learned all she needed to know from me; in fact, she was picking things up faster than I could teach them. Now she needed respectability -- to settle down, whether as a Roman matron or a Brigante queen. I would only get in the way. Besides, it was only a matter of time before her mother had me murdered for stumbling onto the family secret.

And the real clincher: I was getting tired of killing frightened slaves and little girls. We'd removed the real threat to Roma with Scaevola. Did that leave some Celts who feared and hated the Empire still wandering around? Of course... and frankly it's hard to blame them. I didn't relish becoming Caesar's special squad for Celt removal. That sort of dirty little war can go on forever.

So I took the opportunity to make my escape. A touchy business -- if that roof had come down a second sooner, Heilyn would have had one very embarrassed spirit to talk to after all. But it worked, I got out invisibly, and I thought I'd never see Cornelia and the rest of the group again.

Shast's message reached me when I was about to take ship at Ostia. Say what you will about my loyalty, I would never leave Domina Cornelia in danger. I flew to the tomb of that ghastly old Roman and invisibly backed up Llyr and Metellus while they dispatched him again. And then... it's hard to say what possessed me. It had always been a bit of a sore point with me that Metellus didn't give Domina Cornelia the attention she deserved. And that he resisted my love charm on the previous occasions I'd shot him -- the only spell effects he ever managed to resist, I might add.

So I thought I'd put the decision in Cornelia's hands. Metellus is awfully... well, Roman, and I wouldn't want him as my husband. Especially not with Llyr as the other choice. But Cornelia's always been a bit taken with Metellus, I think, and it was my last chance to sway the situation. Oh, gods, the sight of Metellus down on one knee was worth it all. I do hope Shast finds a way to send me word on what happens next.

For now, fair readers, I bid you a hasty adieu. I imagine the old witch will be taking measures to confirm my death, and I want to be leagues from here when she realizes I'm still hale and hearty.

PS: thank you, Ori, for once again brightening my Afghanistan (and now London) days with Alea updates! It was a pleasure to play, and it's been a pleasure to read.

Orichalcum

First Post
Baby!

I just wanted to let all our readers know that CerebralPaladin and I welcomed our new cohort into the world on August 17th. He is healthy and well, and probably leaning towards a rogue class, given his apparently unusually high dexterity (he can roll over onto his side already!) Mage is not out of the question, but will need to wait until his ability to perform verbal components is a little more refined.

Thank you all for reading this Story Hour. Until new material is generated, I suggest you check out Aphonion Tales, Welcome to the Halmae, Cheyenne Mountain Irregulars, or the more famous SHes of Piratecat and Sagiro.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases