Angel of the North

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Zack2216 said:
Because it has a slam attack, the strength bonus to both damage and to hit is +19, because the str bonus is multiplied by 1.5.
This construct is truly a force to be reconed with:D

This is incorrect. You only multiply the DAMAGE bonus by 1.5 and then ONLY IF the monster has a single, solitary attack. Attack bonus IS NEVER multiplied by anything.

This guy has 2 slams. That counts as 2 attacks. Damage bonus IS NOT multiplied by 1.5. It is multiplied by 1.0 (rather it remains the same, i.e., equal to the monster's Str bonus).

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
Thanks, just some points..

a) The attack bonuses and base saves can easily be worked out from the relevant character or the PHB table 3-1 - if the monster is under 20HD. However this one isn't and so I was suprised to see that there was a formula used to extrapolate (rather than the almost correct guessing I did)

b) Erica gave this formula for low base save, I was wondering if there was a similar forumla for good saves (for when you need to go above 20HD)

c) I know the 'standard' reach is 25ft. However is there not a case for none-standard reach, I mean have you seen this thing its huge. 170ft wingspan (minus body thats roughly 75ft of wing on each arm). In this case I thought an extended reach was justified? Perhaps something to say it cannot use its slam attacks on creatures who've made it within 20ft?

d) I was also considering adding the Trample special attack, which I think is justified don't you :)

Oh, and finally (because I like to get on peoples nerves by being pedantic) I have the pdf monster creation of the dragon annual CD so page refs aren't much use, sorry :)

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
The high save value is: HD × .6, round down.

The low save value us: HD × .3, round down.

Thus, a 38HD monster will have (38×.6) +22 as its base save for high saves, and (38×.3) +11 as its base save for low saves. :)

Krishnath

First Post
DnDChick said:
The high save value is: HD × .6, round down.

The low save value us: HD × .3, round down.

Thus, a 38HD monster will have (38×.6) +22 as its base save for high saves, and (38×.3) +11 as its base save for low saves. :)

That is not entirely correct, the High save value is HD/2 +2, or in this case 21 (38/2=19, 19+2=21).

Edit: Fixed the color.

Last edited:

Devon

First Post
c) I know the 'standard' reach is 25ft. However is there not a case for none-standard reach, I mean have you seen
this thing its huge. 170ft wingspan (minus body thats roughly 75ft of wing on each arm). In this case I thought an
extended reach was justified? Perhaps something to say it cannot use its slam attacks on creatures who've made it
within 20ft?

I have several medium-sized creatures with reaches of 10 and even 15 feet. I'd be willing to allow it a 40-foot reach or so, as long as it's justified (which it seems to be). If you want to limit its slam as you suggested, that would certainly make combat more interesting.

- Devon

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
DnDChick said:
Wow youre right...correction noted. Thanks Krishnath~ :)

I was just thinking...its a good thing all the conversions Ive done are for monsters of less than 20HD, huh? LOL

Remove ads