• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anime Network coming

Chun-tzu

First Post
[This was actually announced last week, at http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=000376]

ADV Films today announced publicly the creation of The Anime Network(tm), the first television channel in North America dedicated to anime (Japanese animation) and anime-related content. The Anime Network(tm) targets the nation's estimated 85 million cable television subscribers, and seeks to capitalize on cable's increasing dominance in the world of at-home entertainment.

Initially announced in June, 2002 at ADV Films' 10th Anniversary party in Tokyo, and announced in the U.S. at ADV's November 2 invitation-only 10th Anniversary party in Houston, the creation of The Anime Network(tm) has the industry abuzz with excitement and speculation.

"This has been in the works for some time," said ADV Films President, Founder and CEO John Ledford. "Until now, the market and the culture haven't been ready for it. But today ever-increasing numbers of Americans are becoming familiar with anime and its distinctive aesthetic; they're curious about anime, they're hungry for it, and The Anime Network(tm) is going to deliver it right to their televisions."

Competitive Advantage While existing cable outlets have enjoyed strong ratings with limited blocks of anime and anime-inspired animated programming, The Anime Network(tm) will make fine anime programming available to viewers 24 hours a day.

"The Anime Network(tm) is the next logical step," said Ledford. "The television outlets that currently carry anime aren't meeting the potential demand; they offer very limited selections of titles, and only during very restricted hours. The Anime Network(tm) will change all of that, and we're excited to be leading the revolution."

Content
The Anime Network(tm) model is structured around four categorized content areas: Action Zone, Sci-Fi, Comedy Incorrect, and Horror/Martial Arts. These categories are designed to include virtually the entire spectrum of quality anime, while contextualizing content for new viewers unfamiliar with specific titles.

Coming Up
Coming soon, releases detailing geographic/service provider availability of The Anime Network,(tm) along with information about whom viewers can call regarding local availability; also, a sneak preview of programming that will be available in The Anime Network(tm)'s first months.

About ADV Films
In 1992, ADV Films (ADV) began to forge the international market for Japanese animation ("anime") by combining unique titles, outstanding production values and efficient large-scale distribution. Today, ADV is the #1 producer-distributor of Japanese animation to the North American market, with the firm's holdings including such premier titles as "Spriggan", "Sailor Moon," "Samurai X," "Medabots," "Robotech," "Gasaraki" and "Neon Genesis Evangelion." ADV has also expanded into other forms of genre programming, including live-action science fiction programs "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda" and "Farscape," and classic science fiction such as "Gamera: Guardian of the Universe." Headquartered in Houston, Texas, USA, with additional offices in the EU and Japan, and distribution on four continents, ADV is fast becoming an international entertainment powerhouse. For more information, visit ADV on the web at http://www.advfilms.com.

frankthedm

First Post
Any word of how much anime will and won't be from ADV? Their select is quite diverse [with thier Soft Cell being perverse] but will other Companies anime be shown?

Will it only be dubbed or will some subbed also be played?

Chun-tzu

First Post
I don't think any more details have been announced yet. I'd definitely like to see more variety than ADV only, and if they know what they're doing, they'll offer both dubbed and subbed, since so many anime fans (including myself) usually prefer the subbed versions.

JoeGKushner

First Post
This is something to watch out for I think. It could be very promising indeed.

I think in no small way, DVD has been very good to anime.

DarkSoldier

First Post
If my cable provider will carry this station, I will rejoice... well, after I change my pants, since seeing that would make me lose all muscle control.

Chun-tzu

First Post
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=37&t=000328

FINALLY! THE ANIME NETWORK(tm) FORMAT DETAILS

FIRST DEBUT AS PART OF COMCAST'S VIDEO-ON-DEMAND SERVICE

HOUSTON, December 13, 2002-After an initial news release that created a veritable storm of curiosity and speculation within the fan community and the industry at large, ADV Films today announced details about the impending launch of The Anime Network(tm). The network will go on the air in a series of stepped-up phases, with Phase One a mid-December launch as part of Comcast Cable's video-on-demand (VOD) initiative in the Philadelphia area, delivering programs directly to viewers, at their request, at any time.

Comcast's VOD service-including The Anime Network(tm)-is available to approximately 1.2 million customers in the Philadelphia area. The Anime Networkä is the first television channel in North America dedicated to anime (Japanese animation) and anime-related content.

Leadership at The Anime Network(tm) described the decision to launch Phase One via VOD service as one of complementary strengths. "We're very excited to have completed this deal with Comcast; their VOD functionality is a perfect fit for our first step. Plus, we believe that on-demand systems are going to be a strong and enduring element of the direct-delivered home entertainment industry," said John Ledford, President and CEO of A.D. Vision, Inc., parent company of The Anime Network(tm) and ADV Films.

"For our audience, a video-on-demand-based launch is quite perfect," Ledford continued. "Anime fans are really the ultimate early-adopters-they're very tech savvy, and will be quick to appreciate the benefits of on-demand functionality."

Content
The Anime Network(tm) model is structured around four categorized content areas: Action Zone, Sci-Fi, Comedy, and Martial Arts. The mid-December launch of The Anime Network(tm) will include approximately 25 hours of available content, including both feature films and episodes from series. Titles will include "Spriggan," "Neon Genesis Evangelion," "Excel Saga," "Martian Successor Nadesico," "Gasaraki," "Noir," "Dai-Guard," "Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040," "Orphen," Golden Boy," "Sorcerer Hunters," Kimera," "Ninja Resurrection," "Tekken," "Those Who Hunt Elves," "Gunsmith Cats," "Burn Up W" and "Samurai X: The Motion Picture." Viewers in the Philadelphia area wishing to confirm availability of The Anime Network in their specific areas can do so by visiting http://www.comcast.com.

The Anime Networkä: Ongoing Plans
Leadership at The Anime Network confirms that the network will be going online with several other major national cable providers to bring The Anime Networkä to millions of viewers in service areas across North America. The Anime Network's web address is http://www.theanimenetwork.com .

About ADV Films:
In 1992, ADV Films (ADV) began to forge the international market for Japanese animation ("anime") by combining unique titles, outstanding production values and efficient large-scale distribution. Today, ADV is the #1 producer-distributor of Japanese animation to the North American market, with the firm's holdings including such premier titles as "Spriggan", "Sailor Moon," "Samurai X," "Medabots," "Robotech," "Gasaraki" and "Neon Genesis Evangelion." ADV has also expanded into other forms of genre programming, including live-action science fiction programs "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda" and "Farscape," and classic science fiction such as "Gamera: Guardian of the Universe." ADV's corporate parent, A.D. Vision, Inc., publishes Newtype USA, the premiere anime and manga monthly in the English-speaking world, and operates The Anime Network(tm), broadcasting anime and anime-related programming via digital cable, 24 hours a day. Headquartered in Houston, Texas, USA, with additional offices in the EU and Japan, and distribution on four continents, ADV is fast becoming an international entertainment powerhouse. For more information, visit ADV on the web at http://www.advfilms.com.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Now, if only they'd do something like that in Germany ('cause I can get German tv and there's no chance that anybody'll do it here in Austria). ;)
I think they're already planning that, though - so maybe in 1-2 years... :)

PS - This was my 5000th post.

Remove ads