• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Antimagic field increadble dangerous or? help needed!

The Ancient One

First Post
I have a few questions on Antimagic fields and how they work.. Antimagic Field seem quite simple to understand, but in some combination or situations it can be very uncertain. I would be glad for any suggestions and comments to this.
1. Can you see an Antimagic field with spells like “See invisible”, “True seeing” or “Invisibility Purge”? Since these spells have a range and in that sense is not unlimited passive, does this “stop” them at the edge of an antimagic field?
2. Can a creature with “see invisible” as an extraordinary ability see the field?
3. Can you see an invisible person with, for instance, “see invisible” if he is behind (not “in”) an antimagic field?
4. Same question as 3 but behind a force wall?
5. If a person is in a square that is covered with an antimagic field and the adjacent square is not, can that person be attacked by for instance a flaming sword and get flaming damage if he attacker is outside the field? Or is the weapon considered a normal weapon when inside the field (the persons square)?
6. If a creature with damage reduction 20/+2 is in a antimagic field, will it get the damage reaction all the time because all + weapons (except artifacts) are just normal weapons in the antimagic field? Think of a gollem with an antimagicfield on it…..
7. Normally if I am correct, line of sight is required for spells like “hold”. Does this mean that you can not cast the spell at someone behind (not in) a force wall, antimagicfield etc. since the magic will be interrupted (stopped) by the wall?
8. If you have an object or a creature (supernatural ability e.g. Beholder) that is generating an antimagic field enters another antimagic field does this stop them, object or Beholder, from generating an antimagic field when they are in this area?

Any comments or thoughts appreciated.

pontus

First Post
1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes.
4. Tricky... I'd say no.
5. I think both weapons striking and weapons wielded by the character in the AMF should be treated as non-magical.
6. No (Funny. For a moment I thought golems had extraordinary DR).
7. The force wall will block line of effect. I don't think the AMF will.
8. Dunno.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
1. Can you see an Antimagic field with spells like “See invisible”, “True seeing” or “Invisibility Purge”? Since these spells have a range and in that sense is not unlimited passive, does this “stop” them at the edge of an antimagic field?
2. Can a creature with “see invisible” as an extraordinary ability see the field?

Well, it calls it an "invisible barrier", but I don't think it's a visible barrier turned invisible. I think it simply has no physical manifestation that one can see, whether it's visible or not. I would say no in all cases.

3. Can you see an invisible person with, for instance, “see invisible” if he is behind (not “in”) an antimagic field?

See Invisiblity is an area spell. Unless the source is inside the field, the field only suppresses the are of the spell that it intersects. If you and the invisible creature are both outside the field, and the invisible creature is within the area of the See Invisiblity, you can see it.

4. Same question as 3 but behind a force wall?

No. The Wall of Force prevents the passage of spells, and therefore the invisible creature is not in the area of the See Invisiblity.

5. If a person is in a square that is covered with an antimagic field and the adjacent square is not, can that person be attacked by for instance a flaming sword and get flaming damage if he attacker is outside the field? Or is the weapon considered a normal weapon when inside the field (the persons square)?

No flaming damage. The weapon is suppressed.

6. If a creature with damage reduction 20/+2 is in a antimagic field, will it get the damage reaction all the time because all + weapons (except artifacts) are just normal weapons in the antimagic field? Think of a gollem with an antimagicfield on it…..

DR is a Supernatural ability, and does not function within the field.

7. Normally if I am correct, line of sight is required for spells like “hold”. Does this mean that you can not cast the spell at someone behind (not in) a force wall, antimagicfield etc. since the magic will be interrupted (stopped) by the wall?

You have line of sight, but no line of effect, since the Wall of Force prevents the passage of the spell.

Casting to the opposite side of an Antimagic Field... uh. That's debatable. I can see arguments for either side.

8. If you have an object or a creature (supernatural ability e.g. Beholder) that is generating an antimagic field enters another antimagic field does this stop them, object or Beholder, from generating an antimagic field when they are in this area?

The two fields have no effect on each other. But I would guess that a Beholder in an Antimagic Field could not use a supernatural ability to generate its own field.

-Hyp.

Remove ads