D&D (2024) Applying the Character Origins packet to three 5E Characters

vrykyl

Explorer
I took three 1st level characters for Fifth Edition and then reconstructed them using the "Character Origins" playtest rules to see how the changes affect things mechanically (so far). The example below is just the first page of one of them. I write out the whole breakdown plus let you see the changes in details on all three. >> Click here to read <<

gbOBww9.jpg

FitzTheRuke

Legend
If you're using OneD&D here, you need to change how "shove" works. It's no longer an opposed Athletics check, but instead an option on a successful unarmed strike.

vrykyl

Explorer
Can you post it here instead of linking us to your patreon, please? As-is this feels like self-promotion rather than a genuine invitation to discussion.
It's a public article, not behind a paywall so there's no barrier for anyone to read it and discuss here. As a published writer and game designer is it awful that I hope some people might like my content and choose to support it?

vrykyl

Explorer
Almost everything in the right column is generic game rules repeated for reference.

Very handy for a new player, but does take up a lot of space for sure.
This is the standard format I've used in my game for years now and at convention events. As new features pile up I'll remove those generic descriptions, but as you said it can come in handy for less experienced players. The main point is breaking features down by the action economy instead of where they come from—be it race, class, feat, or magic item.

vrykyl

Explorer
If you're using OneD&D here, you need to change how "shove" works. It's no longer an opposed Athletics check, but instead an option on a successful unarmed strike.
I only changed the stuff directly affected by character creation in this first article, but I plan on doing exactly as you suggest by doing another revision by checking all the terms in the current Rules Glossary.

I also need to update Monk's AC, as it's a point low. With all the shifting around I forgot how his increased Wisdom works with his Unarmored Defense. But applying these changes and see them on the sheet is the whole point of this exercise.

vrykyl

Explorer
That's just the first page? Looks like 3e all over again. Good thing I kept my 3e books.
These are the custom character sheets I use for my personal 5e games and when I run convention events. We'll have to see what the "official" sheet of the new edition looks like.

Remove ads