Armor/Load affect non-land speeds?

Keldin

First Post
I've been unable to find anything regarding this, but maybe I'm just not using the proper search terms.

My question is: does load (encumbrance) or medium/heavy armor modify the speeds of movement forms other than standard (and, I suppose, other than fly speeds)? Climb speeds, burrow speeds, etc?

Ahnehnois

First Post
I'm not aware of any text that comprehensively answers your question.

The Fly spell, for example, explains that movement is reduced by weight and armor. However, the general movement modes text does not address this, though the fly speed entry has this text, which could be interpreted to supersede the normal encumbrance rules:
A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load. (Note that medium armor does not necessarily constitute a medium load.)
By the RAW, a flying creature cannot fly at all if carrying a medium or heavy load.
The swimming text talks about penalties to the Swim skill being doubled, but not about creatures with a swim speed.

The common sense answer is that yes, being encumbered makes it hard to swim or fly as well as walk. Its probably just an omission because it's not something that comes up often; most monsters with natural flight and swim and burrow speeds are unlikely to ever be encumbered.

delericho

Legend
Yep, my understanding was always that encumbrance would indeed slow other modes of movement, with the exception of the Fly speed (where you couldn't fly at all under a medium or heavy load, except with the fly spell).

However, I'm not aware of any specific text to that effect. Perhaps in the "Rules Compendium"?

Particle_Man

Explorer
Well, logically they should. I mean the point is that the heavy load slows you down and I don't see why it doesn't slow you down in other modes of personal transportation. You could look at swimmers in real life and see them slow down when they have heavier loads to carry.

Keldin

First Post
I agree that logically they should (though I could see it maybe increasing burrow speed due to greater weight displacing more of what you're burrowing through). I was just hoping someone might point out text that I missed.

delericho

Legend
The "Rules Compendium" doesn't say they are affected, but likewise they don't say they're not. Given that, logically, they should be, and given that the rules (PHB p.161) talk about encumbrance affecting a character's speed (without specifying a movement mode), it's pretty clear that it should.

I can't be bothered checking, but I'd bet that "Sage Advice" tackled the question early (and probably often) in the 3e run of Dragon magazine.

Remove ads