• Dark Elf Trilogy

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Icewind Dale Trilogy

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Cleric Quintet

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • I, Strahd

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Saga of the Old Cities (Gord the Rogue)

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Misc Harpers (Ring of Winter, Song of Ice, etc)

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Finder's Stone (Azure Bonds, etc)

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Knight of the Black Rose

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Vox Machina

• Cormyr Saga

• Spellfire

• Avatar Series (Shadowdale, Waterdeep, etc)

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Module Novels (White Plume Mountain, Keep on the Borderlands, etc)

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Songs and Swords series

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Neverwinter Saga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 17 22.1%

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm going to push back on the word "forced" again . . . . Salvatore wants to write Realms novels, TSR/WotC wants him to continue, but with a focus on Drizzt, his most popular character. It's not being forced, it's a negotiation.
TSR told him to write some more Drizzt novels. Salvatore said OK. TSR told him "write this many by the end of the year" and Salvatore said, "I can't, that's impossible to write that many in such short time." TSR said "Do it if you want a job, or we'll have someone else write them."

Sure seems like the word "force" is appropriate here. It's actually one of the big themes in Riggs' book: TSR found great talent, but treated them like crap and let them go. Writers, editors, and artists.

Dire Bare

Legend
TSR told him to write some more Drizzt novels. Salvatore said OK. TSR told him "write this many by the end of the year" and Salvatore said, "I can't, that's impossible to write that many in such short time." TSR said "Do it if you want a job, or we'll have someone else write them."

Sure seems like the word "force" is appropriate here. It's actually one of the big themes in Riggs' book: TSR found great talent, but treated them like crap and let them go. Writers, editors, and artists.
We're probably going to have to agree to disagree. Salvatore could have said "No". He certainly would have been under pressure, as I'm sure the Dark Elf novels bring him a healthy pile of money.

Not sure if Riggs covers it, but there was a time where Salvatore and WotC parted ways (or perhaps it was TSR before the buy-out), and they DID hire someone else to write the next Drizzt novel. The novel was finished and info was sent out to the trades . . . then Salvatore and TSR/WotC made up and the not-Bob Drizzt novel was canned. Which, always seemed a shame to me, I would have loved to read it!

Sacrosanct

Legend
He could have said no, sure. But this was early in his career. He was hardly swimming in money. And TSR didn’t pay their creators squat. Hard to say no when you have a family to feed.

Remove ads