Book Suggestions

Ace32

Explorer
I'm considering purchasing Ravenloft 3rd Edition, Oriental Adventures, and Monsters of Faerun from Amazon ($60.78). I run a number of homebrew campaigns, and mostly want inspiration, and a lot of new monsters. I also like some of the concepts of Ravenloft. Can anybody give me some insight into these books, and if the price is worth the end product?

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
2 of 3

I know very little of Rokugan (cs for OA) ... but I do like the rules and ideas presented in OA.

the classes are pretty cool and different (I love the sohei) ... Samurai as a social and core class ... the upgraded monk (more flavor and more weapons)

the way the human clans work is (IMO) awesome and just ripe for snipping into your own campain.

Monsters of FR ... more monsters

Rashak Mani

First Post
I havent yet played the Oriental... but I read the whole book. Nice book... great for monks and samurai. Very neat if you want a different flavor campaign. The book itself is very good looking of course.

Not very useful if your not going to play oriental thou... exception could be the shaman class.

Hoju

First Post
I flipped through my friends OA and really wasn't all that impressed, though to be honest I don't understand the love in with the orient.
Ravenloft is definately more interesting to me and I'm starting to incoprorate some into my homebrew world.
No opinion on Monsters of Faerun, though I do plan to pick it up someday.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The Books

Ravenloft 3e: Interesting campaign ideas aren't as common as you may want. I was left kind of wanting in the end, and feeling a bit jipped. But maybe my experience isn't typical.

OA: Good book, Oriental or not, and lots of cool monsters. I ignore the Rokugan stuff, but it's a neat source of info.

Monsters of F: Not too shabby...lotsa new "redshirts" and a few cool humanoid races round it out well. Definately a worthy expansion beastiary.

Remove ads