Bought Wrong Adventure

Igwilly

First Post
So, my group will play AD&D 2e next reunion. Right now it’s a “test” campaign. We’re not going to start the main campaign right away, but we’ll run some sessions to see if we like the system, and in what content people would be interested.
Now the tale begins: since it’s just a test, and I’m not apt to create my own adventure right now (personal problems), I decided to buy one adventure. It seemed good, and it was a “generic” adventure (one that doesn’t rely in a specific setting). Due to credit card problems, I bought in a hurry.
However, to my distaste, once I bought the adventure and opened the pdf, I discovered that the adventure I just bought is appropriate for PCs of level 5-8.
:.-(
Yeah, shame on me.

I won’t run the risk of buying a bad adventure now, so I’m here just to ask: do you know any good 1st level adventure? Preferably one that isn’t too much lethal? I would prefer a “generic setting” adventure, but right now Al-Qadim or Spelljammer will do the trick just fine.
Sorry for asking for help once more, but money is short right now, so I need to be more selective.
May the d20 be always in your heart.
- Leonardo da Vinci, of Zanarkand.

Nagol

Unimportant
The good news is both Basic and 1E modules are pretty much instantly compatible with 2e (and so is OSRIC and some other OSR games) especially at very low level so your choices are pretty wide.

B3, Palace of the Silver Princess, is OK. It was offered for free on the WotC site throughout the 3.X era though checking their site now, I can't find the adventure download section. It is probably gone.

U1, The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, is quite good.

Dragonsfoot has a bunch but I haven't run them, so I can't comment on their quality.

Igwilly

First Post
Ok. Thank you, guys. This is something important to my group: we are already taking too long to play (mental health issues), and this will make things faster.
I shall buy one of them in no time. Thanks!

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I'm way late to the boat here, but if you haven't made up your mind yet I'll cast another vote for The Shattered Circle.

There were no 1st level Spelljammer modules produced back in the day (unless there was one in Dungeon magazine, but I don't think there was). Even the introductory Spelljammer adventure was intended for something like 5th-6th level characters (since it was designed to introduce existing characters on an existing world to the ideas of Speljammer). Space Lairs was a compilation of short adventures and had some 2nd level stuff, I believe, but that was it.

Whether any Al-Qadim adventures will work for you will depend on what type of adventures you're seeking. A few of the AQ sets had 1st level adventures, but depending on what you're after they might not work. They also pretty much universally challenge your tracking ability (even finding the beginning of many adventures in the books can be a challenge). That said, if you like loose, inventive, freewheeling adventures with a Middle Eastern flavor, they may be right up your alley.

All in all, if you're looking for something easy to incorporate and run in almost any setting, I'd stick with The Shattered Circle.

Igwilly

First Post
I'm way late to the boat here, but if you haven't made up your mind yet I'll cast another vote for The Shattered Circle.

There were no 1st level Spelljammer modules produced back in the day (unless there was one in Dungeon magazine, but I don't think there was). Even the introductory Spelljammer adventure was intended for something like 5th-6th level characters (since it was designed to introduce existing characters on an existing world to the ideas of Speljammer). Space Lairs was a compilation of short adventures and had some 2nd level stuff, I believe, but that was it.

Whether any Al-Qadim adventures will work for you will depend on what type of adventures you're seeking. A few of the AQ sets had 1st level adventures, but depending on what you're after they might not work. They also pretty much universally challenge your tracking ability (even finding the beginning of many adventures in the books can be a challenge). That said, if you like loose, inventive, freewheeling adventures with a Middle Eastern flavor, they may be right up your alley.

All in all, if you're looking for something easy to incorporate and run in almost any setting, I'd stick with The Shattered Circle.

I still follow the thread so no, it’s not late. Thank you.

I think The Shattered Circle would be the way to go, here. I do want to buy more Al-Qadim material in the future, so adventures there won’t be useless, but I believe a “generic setting” adventure will better serve the purpose of a test adventure, as to not really use splatbooks and such.
I mentioned Spelljammer and Al-Qadim because I’ll inevitably read them if I stay in 2e; Birthright and FR are other goals, too.

Thing is, The Shattered Circle isn’t available at DriveThruRPG. I’ll check out Amazon and ebay. If isn’t possible to buy it, then I’ll buy one of Al-Qadim or one already mentioned here.

Thanks!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases