Toben

First Post
Can someone please explain...
Never mind.
Just food for thought.
Small creatures: halflings, gnomes etc
reach weapons available:
Heavy Lance. Medium Size Martial Weapon weight 10lbs

So if you want a shorty with reach, just toss em a heavy lance? Sure they have to use two hands, but they get to add onto that whopping strength bonus of Rolled Score-2.

For comparison, the longspear is Large and weighs only 9lbs.

Ahh well.

Least we know what the preferred weapon of the halfling militia is.

Sorry if this has been seen/mocked/laughed at/question/debated/beaten-into-the-dust before.

Toben

Werdnam

First Post
I think he's referring to an unmounted halfling wielding a heavy lance. There's nothing in the rules that says you need a horse to wield one of those suckers.

I had a player try this. He wanted a nice magic weapon to use mounted, but he didn't want to have to buy two magic weapons (one for mounted combat, one for unmounted combat). I nixed it by telling him all the other paladins would laugh at him if he tried it. :)

jontherev

First Post
I actually considered this for my halfling rogue because he had to take combat reflexes for expert tactician. Then I came to my senses...

Vaxalon

First Post
Lances in 3e are silly as written

Here's how lances work in my game:

Heavy lances are large weapons
Light lances are medium weapons

Lances and spears of size up to the size of the mount, and up to one size larger than the rider, can be used one-handed from the back of a charging mount.

Hehe... Lances are not silly as they are written in 3E - they make perfect sense. A Lance must be usable in one Hand, because knights did it. So it must be a medium size weapon. To "compensate" a bit, the damage of lances isn`t unusual high, but they inflict extra (double) damage when charging on a mount.
I don`t believe you could wear a lance in two hands. Wear it in one, hand have some limited combat abilities, or don`t use it at all...

Remove ads