• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can lances be used when not mounted?

Macbrea

First Post
I would be prone to charge the player -4 profiency penalty for using it as a footmans lance instead of a horsemans lance.

Unless of course they were profiecent in all martial weapons.

In which case a lance used on the ground is nothing more then a footman's lance.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
So (unless you're a druid), there is no reason to use a longspear eh? The lance does everything the long spear does, but can be used in one hand if you want. And then you get the nifty double damage when charging mounted. Not bad at all.

Ok, so it costs 5gp more and weighs another pound. But still, a 1 handed reach weapon without having to use Monkey Grip? I like that. (They really need an erratta to say the lance is a large weapon when used unmounted.)

Last edited:

Antikinesis

First Post
But is it munchkin?

Add Ambidexterity, a buckler on the same arm as the lance, and a medium-sized weapon in the other hand...

Now you have a reach weapon for those AoO's, and some extra AC and a close-quarters weapon after they get past your reach.

Add 2WF and replace the medium weapon with a light one for even more versatility. (Don't get to use the buckler in the same round as the lance, though!) Keep your combat options open. :)

-AK

Macbrea

First Post
Someone, could probably argue that a Light lance is a Footman's lance (spear) when used from the ground. And a Heavy lance is a Heavy footman's lance (longspear) also when used from the ground.

But that would be a house rule.

KnowTheToe

First Post
My current fighter specializes in using lances, but has a phobia of horses. Generally, I take a few steps backward and then run full speed, ramming the lance tip through my enemies heart.

What, you don't think the concept works?

Conaill

First Post
<not again...>

Yes, "by the book" you can use a lance even on foot (without the extra damage for a mounted charge). And in reality, there's nothing that would stop an unhorsed knight from using his lance that way either. (Jousting armor - and presumably combat armor - has a "hook" to rest the lance into. The lance is never in contact with the horse.)

However using a lance in that way is unbalanced compared to the other weapons in the weapon table, so it should probably not be allowed without adding extra restrictions (amount of movement needed, direction of attack, multiple attacks, etc.)

The problem really stems from the fact they needed to fudge things somewhat to make the classical "lance and shield" knight possible. I don't think anyone at WotC ever considered the possibilities when using it unmounted.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
According to a strict reading of the rules, a lance can be used non-mounted in one hand.

OTOH, in my games, I will impose a -4 non-proficiency penalty since the character is using the weapon in a different manner than it is designed to be used. In fact, I think this is also legitimate under a strict reading of the rules. That's the penalty for using a sword to do subdual damage, piercing damage, or generally using any weapon in the way it wasn't intended to be used. Lances are intended to be used on horses.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Ki Ryn said:
So (unless you're a druid), there is no reason to use a longspear eh? The lance does everything the long spear does, but can be used in one hand if you want.

Well, not /everything/ - it can't be set to recieve a charge and do double damage that way. Unless you put a lot of stock by that special ability, though, the longspear is a bit sub-standard compared to a lot of other large martial weapons...

Remove ads