D&D 5E Can you case feather fall if you are not holding a feather or a focus?

NotAYakk

Legend
With a free hand and a component pouch, M components without a gp value are not a problem; as part of casting you can manipulate the pouch and use the component(s) in there (or use a focus in your hands).

M components without a gp value's main impact is when you are disarmed (no focus, no pouch). You could find a spider web in a dungeon, for example, and be able to cast web.

Li Shenron

Legend
I think the original idea of material components is to "cost a hand slot".

So if you're a wizard or sorcerer, keep a hand free all the time and stop worrying. Most mages don't use shields, so in older editions it was mainly a choice between holding a weapon in the other hand vs being the torch-bearer, holding the map or similar. Many mage-types in 5e don't even use weapons because they have attack cantrips, so it's even easier.

There will be exceptional cases like if your hands are tied, gripping/holding on to something etc. so you'll have to make a choice.

Then of course people will always argue that they want to pass an object to the other hand, hold two objects while you cast, use a leather strip to drop the weapon without having to pick it up... I hate those debates. The rule is there to force a strategic choice as if your hands are a limited resource. If your group doesn't like it, IGNORE it and move on. Otherwise use the rule and don't cheat.

A reaction on the other hand doesn't take a specific amount of time, so even by the rules you are not supposed to worry about how fast you need to reach for a material component, just "spend" your reaction and the rules abstraction have you covered.

S'mon

Legend
Flavour wise, having the feather on a neck thong or similar sounds coolest. I think the game pretty much assumes the caster uses a focus and has the focus in-hand. I'd avoid screwing over non-focus casters, anyway.

aco175

Legend

Copied from DnDBeyond;

Material (M)​

Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in “Equipment”) in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell.

If a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component for each casting of the spell. A spellcaster must have a hand free to access a spell's material components -- or to hold a spellcasting focus -- but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Copied from roll20 net
Arcane focus
Crystal10 gp1 lb.
Orb20 gp3 lb.
Rod10 gp2 lb.
Staff5 gp4 lb.
Wand10 gp1 lb.
Component pouch25 gp2 lb.

Looking at the problem, it seems that I could buy a 5gp staff to use as a focus and not even need a component pouch for the 25gp. I would then not need to collect and twigs and berries or fur and feather.

I personally like the wand better and could see it having some sort of secret compartment where a piece of each of these minor components are stuffed in to make it work. It could be some sort of ritual as well where you burn a list of components and the smoke infuses the wand, or maybe a stew of components where wands are dipped.

None of that though is RAW and it just says you can go buy something like a orb or wand and be done with collecting things.

ECMO3

Hero

Looking at the problem, it seems that I could buy a 5gp staff to use as a focus and not even need a component pouch for the 25gp. I would then not need to collect and twigs and berries or fur and feather.
Only if you are a Wizard or Sorcerer.

Other classes can not use an arcane focus for this spell. Warlocks can use an arcane focus for Warlock spells, but would need a feat to get feather fall and it would not be a warlock spell and would not be eligible for using a staff. Same for any other class that gets it.

Only if you are a Wizard or Sorcerer.

Other classes can not use an arcane focus for this spell. Warlocks can use an arcane focus for Warlock spells, but would need a feat to get feather fall and it would not be a warlock spell and would not be eligible for using a staff. Same for any other class that gets it.
If your DM is a rule pedant, if the warlock gains Feather Fall via Artificer Initiate then:
  • You gain proficiency with one type of artisan’s tools of your choice, and you can use that type of tool as a spellcasting focus for any spell you cast that uses Intelligence as its spellcasting ability.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases