Can you Charm an already Charmed monster?

Ferox4

First Post
The PCs in my campaign are about to encounter some Charmed Storm Giants. The wizard has a scroll of Charm Monster and I'm certain she'll attempt to use it against the behemoths. I'm assuming that the scroll will override the charm in place. Is this correct?

Skaros

First Post
Doesn't charm monster work just like charm person, but affects more than just humanoids? I don't have my manuals on me...

If that is the case, then 20 people could charm them at once with no issues. The storm giants would just consider all 20 people their trusted allies.

The people who charmed them don't have control over them or antyhing...so I don't see how they can negate each other's friendship.

Like I said...don't have my books though, and have only used charm person, not monster.

G'luck!
Skaros

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Ferox4 said:
The PCs in my campaign are about to encounter some Charmed Storm Giants. The wizard has a scroll of Charm Monster and I'm certain she'll attempt to use it against the behemoths. I'm assuming that the scroll will override the charm in place. Is this correct?

Check out PHB p 154, multiple mental control effects. Here's the most important bit:

If a creature is under the mental control of two or more creatures, it tends to obey each to the best of its ability (and to the extent of the control each effect allows). If the controlled creatures receives conflicting orders simultaneously, the competing controllers must make opposed Charisma checks to determine which one the creature obeys.

Daniel

Skaros

First Post
Pielorinho,

Thanks for the quote. I don't think charm spells put the creature under the caster's "mental control" though.

Am I wrong?

-Skaros

Artoomis

First Post
Skaros said:
Pielorinho,

Thanks for the quote. I don't think charm spells put the creature under the caster's "mental control" though.

Am I wrong?

-Skaros

If charmed you are most certainly under mental control - albeit a fairly weak control:

The character can try to give the subject orders, but the character must win an opposed Charisma check to convince him to do anything he wouldn’t ordinarily do.

It is possible that two of your "friends" would give you contradictory orders, and then you'd need to fall back on the opposed charisma checks.

Last edited:

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Read the whole paragraph from which I drew those sentences -- it's pretty clear that charm spells are the classic example of spells to which this principle applies.

Daniel

Remove ads