Carmilla Karnstein

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
developing a statblock for Carmilla Karnstein - trying to differentiate it from normal vampire while retaining some faith to orginal novella

Attachments

• carmilla.jpg
    carmilla.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 67

Cleon

Legend
developing a statblock for Carmilla Karnstein - trying to differentiate it from normal vampire while retaining some faith to orginal novella

I'm finding it a bit hard to read as it's only 422 pixels wide.

In the novel, the vampire moves around freely in daylight so shouldn't have the Hypersensitivity to Sunlight. Maybe she can't use some of her powers in the sun and feels "sleepy" but it doesn't actually harm her.

Could cut out the Children of the Night too if you like, as I don't think the book version has animal minions.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Ok - I cut out children of the night and hypersensitivity.

Sunlight does have some muting effect - so was musing on either being slowed (as per spell) or one level of exhaustion.

In the source, her older name is Mircalla (though who's to say that is her original name), though is best known (obviously) as Carmilla - debated what to call her.

My idea was that she was smaller than a usual vampire but possibly more cunning (? - see this) - she seems to be able to cast misty step - and not when just at zero hp in the book.

And in panther form she can drink blood.

My idea is to adjust the statblock she is of roughly equal or slightly less power to a vampire with some spellcasting powers (such as Strahd), with stealth and intelligence to make up for strength I guess

Cleon

Legend
Ok - I cut out children of the night and hypersensitivity.

Sunlight does have some muting effect - so was musing on either being slowed (as per spell) or one level of exhaustion.

I'd just have her be unable to use some of her powers since I don't believe sunlight actually harmed her in the novel.

In the source, her older name is Mircalla (though who's to say that is her original name), though is best known (obviously) as Carmilla - debated what to call her.

It makes no difference to me, so long as it's used consistently in the trait & action descriptions.

My idea was that she was smaller than a usual vampire but possibly more cunning (? - see this) - she seems to be able to cast misty step - and not when just at zero hp in the book.

She can Shapechange into a cloud of mist at will like a regular Vampire. Doesn't that cover it?

And in panther form she can drink blood.

Just noticed her Shapechanger has "treat as lion" in it. Lion's are Large size. Why not "into a great black cat (treat as panther)" instead as Panther's are (a) in the SRD, (b) a closer match to the description, and (c) Medium size?

My idea is to adjust the statblock she is of roughly equal or slightly less power to a vampire with some spellcasting powers (such as Strahd), with stealth and intelligence to make up for strength I guess

She doesn't have to be as high-Challenge as Strahd. In the novel she's up against regular humans not hardened adventurers with spells and magic gear.

Making her CR 13 like a regular Vampire should be enough.

Does she use and power that could be interpreted as a spell in the original story?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
All good points. Could lower her STR and CON as she is smaller than a usual vampire (she is supposed to be a teenaged girl). She seems to have a hag-like companion in the novella. Not sure of other spells

Cleon

Legend
All good points. Could lower her STR and CON as she is smaller than a usual vampire (she is supposed to be a teenaged girl). She seems to have a hag-like companion in the novella. Not sure of other spells

I don't think she performs any feats of strength in the book, so it's impossible to say if she's any stronger or weaker than an average vampire.

She is more the "worming her way into a household and slowly draining them dry" kind of bloodsucker, so maybe expand on the standard Vampire's Charm ability?

She also needs some way of feeding on a sleeping victim without waking them to follow the book, but then so do regular 5E vampires! The 5E Vampire doesn't have any mechanism for them to feed without a person noticing.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Maybe, "a vampire bite releases endorphins in the victim, thought to be facilitated by some unknown vampiric pheromone. This results in the victim remaining asleep unless assertively woken up, or being charmed if it fails a DC 17 constitution save (this is at Disadvantage if the victim is asleep). This effect does not work in combat as the subject is aroused and wary."

Cleon

Legend
Maybe, "a vampire bite releases endorphins in the victim, thought to be facilitated by some unknown vampiric pheromone. This results in the victim remaining asleep unless assertively woken up, or being charmed if it fails a DC 17 constitution save (this is at Disadvantage if the victim is asleep). This effect does not work in combat as the subject is aroused and wary."

I wouldn't mention endorphins or pheromones.

Also, the Charm uses a Wisdom-based save not Constitution-based.

It'd be more consistent to say "Mircalla's fangs are painless to creatures affected by her charm attack, who instead feel her bite as a pleasurable sensation. If she bites a sleeping victim she has charmed, the creature will continue sleeping if they fail a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw."

The bit in red is optional but feels right for a clichéd seductive vampire.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases