Castles & Crusades—which printing/edition is current?

GamerforHire

Explorer
I like the system though it has never been my go-to OSR ruleset. I have like the 2nd printing, the 4th printing, and a later one. Which is the current printing? I ask because they tend to make changes and incorporate errata with each printing, despite only labeling it “printing.”

The PHB is the key volume, though this question applies to the M&T and Castle Keepers volumes as well.

mamba

Legend
Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They always put their most recent ones front and center on their website.

And remember that the Castle Keeper Guide is really, really, really supplemental. It's basically just other advice for a CK. If you've played other D&D-style games over the years, I would only buy it if you're feeling exceptionally flush with cash.

Froderik

Explorer
PHB v8 (their website says 9, but my PDF with the same cover says 8...)

IIRC, the 9th printing of the PHB has very minor updates when compared to the 8th printing (10 misspellings fixed according to one source). I think they ran out of stock of the 8th because of the popularity of the AD&D-homage covers and were forced to do a quick re-print to keep up with demand.

Then the OGL-fiasco happened, so an OGL-free 10th printing of the PHB is in the works, but that probably won't be available until sometime in 2024.

Regardless, TLG claims that every printing is supposed to be usable at the same table, except for early versions of Illusionists and Barbarbarians (fixed after the 4th printing?).

mamba

Legend
IIRC, the 9th printing of the PHB has very minor updates when compared to the 8th printing (10 misspellings fixed according to one source). I think they ran out of stock of the 8th because of the popularity of the AD&D-homage covers and were forced to do a quick re-print to keep up with demand.
I bought mine a few weeks ago when it was on sale on DTRPG, I would assume they have the latest one, but it says 8th printing.

In any case there should be very little difference. Will see what they do now that they drop the OGL ;)

I'm really excited for the OGL-free version. I love C&C, but it's always stuck too close to TSR's shadow. I'm looking for things to get a little more idiosyncratic in future.
Same. It’s one reason I’ve not been playing it. I want to see what the Troll Lords can do. The Swords & Sorcery game using the SIEGE Engine may not be by them, but it has some neat ideas that they should definitely crib.

Oh, and better saves would be nice. Just keep the bard as awesome as it is.

Remove ads