Press [Chaosium] What critics and readers are saying about Alone Against the Static (Unnatural Selections)

Michael O'Brien

Hero
Publisher
alone-against-the-static-heading.png

The 'Unnatural Selections' series is our regular round up of notable Chaosium reviews worth a look. Here's some recent critical commentary for Call of Cthulhu...

Here's some early reviews of our latest Call of Cthulhu release, the modern day solo adventure Alone Against the Static:

Alone Against the Static is the best Call of Cthulhu solo adventure I’ve played… [It] creeps me out… The theme of static noise is elegantly revisited again and again, this uncertainty slowly seeps into your consciousness, I don’t know what’s going on here, but I don’t like it. This feeling becomes denser and lasts so long it’s a joy.” — Pen and Paper News.

"replay value is high... (it) feels like a 90s horror movie. The isolated quiet of the Black Hills, a remote rundown cabin, a collection of creepy video tapes, and a VCR with a mind of its own will all feel familiar to players of a certain age... players will no doubt find themselves desperately flipping pages as their doom unspools before them time and time again." — The Gaming Gang.

"Unsettling and immersive, with clever nods to modern horror tropes: TV static, found footage..." — El Runeblogger.

"I also have to confess that it is the first time that one of these books makes me feel something similar to real fear, there are decisions that make you feel nervous, excited and a sense of danger."
— Tristan Oberon, Whispers from Darkness.

"9 out of 10: I was also pleased that not everything is handed to you on a plate, so even after playing through the game several times, there are still questions that cannot be answered - and often that is what horror is all about." — Poltergeist.

"I've died 3/3 times so far and it's glorious!" — JH (customer review).

"5 Stars - The Best Alone Against Yet. This is a great adventure and an amazing story. I've enjoyed several of the Alone Against modules, but this one hurt me... In a good way." — Clay Fare (customer review).

Alone Against the StaticAlone Against the Static is available now from Chaosium.com in full color hard cover (price includes PDF). Also available at DriveThruRPG.

Remove ads