• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Character Build - As Many Spells As Possible?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
For people who enjoy character building and exploring options, I was wondering what build would give you the most spells possible, starting at level 1 but even more so as you gain levels.

I figured for race, Drow Elf, Tiefling, and Triton all grant three spells by 5th level.

Feats might be Magic Initiate grants two cantrips and a 1st level spell. Ritual Caster two ritual spells. Fey/ Shadow Touched is another two spells. What else?

All the full-casters start with two 1st level slots, but overall I think Wizard with Arcane Recovery and Ritual Casting would be the class to beat (not to mention tier 4 features!), although Sorcerer using Font of Magic can get a lot of spell slots without the need for the short rest, but they lack Ritual Casting. Circle of Land Druid is also a nice choice, with Natural Recovery and bonus prepared spells.

I'm sure there are options from WotC books I don't have, so anything else you care to add?

To be clear, this is an exercise both in number of spells or spell-like features available (prepared, known, innate, etc.) as well as most spell slots/castings per long rest (with the short rest if needed).

ECMO3

Hero
For people who enjoy character building and exploring options, I was wondering what build would give you the most spells possible, starting at level 1 but even more so as you gain levels.

I figured for race, Drow Elf, Tiefling, and Triton all grant three spells by 5th level.

Feats might be Magic Initiate grants two cantrips and a 1st level spell. Ritual Caster two ritual spells. Fey/ Shadow Touched is another two spells. What else?

All the full-casters start with two 1st level slots, but overall I think Wizard with Arcane Recovery and Ritual Casting would be the class to beat (not to mention tier 4 features!), although Sorcerer using Font of Magic can get a lot of spell slots without the need for the short rest, but they lack Ritual Casting. Circle of Land Druid is also a nice choice, with Natural Recovery and bonus prepared spells.

I'm sure there are options from WotC books I don't have, so anything else you care to add?

To be clear, this is an exercise both in number of spells or spell-like features available (prepared, known, innate, etc.) as well as most spell slots/castings per long rest (with the short rest if needed).
What do you mean by most spells?

Most Available? Most castable (prepared+known+Wizard rituals in book)? Something else?

Are we allowing the wizard to copy any wizard spell into their book or only going by the ones they learn automatically? I will assume the latter

IF it is most available I think that is a drow character with Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma 20.
Drow - 3 known

Wizard 4 and shadow touched 18 (4 cantrips, 9 prepared, 2 known, 3 castable as rituals)
Arcana Cleric 1 - 13 (5 cantrips, 6 spells prepared)
Stars Druid 1 - 8 (6 spells, 2 cantrips)
Swarmkeeper Ranger 4 with Drow High Magic - 10 ( 5 ranger, 3 Drow High Magic, 2 cantrip)
Paladin 4 with Magic Initiate - 14 (7 prepared, 2 oath, 2 cantrip, 3 magic initiate)
Artificer 1 - 7 (5 prepared, 2 cantrips
Sorcerer 4 - 15 (6 cantrips, 7 known, 2 Fey Touched)
Warlock 1 - 4 (2 cantrips, 2 known)

So the total is 92 spells I think. It could be 9 more if you give the wizard all the 1st and 2nd level rituals.

Remove ads