D&D General Christmas is coming

aco175

Legend
Now that it is November, I started looking for Christmas music on the radio, but have not found any yet. I also started to look at D&D related gifts for my table and more specifically, my son. There is also the shipping container ship-show, so that may affect things if one does not start now. I was asking what other people are looking to buy and if there is anything other than the standard new releases that may be cool or unique.

I'm still looking at making these healing potions for my group and extras to bring to the next convention to gift the DMs with.
1636064981454.png

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I'm of the age where I have pretty much everything I need and could afford anything reasonable I want, and I'm not too keen on having more stuff I don't need, so I started a policy a few years back: Nobody get me anything for Christmas and I will donate what I would have spent on everyone else to a local charity. (I still hook up the kids though, college age and younger.) If anyone wants to get me anything, I ask them to just contribute to that donation. We don't as a family really need more stuff and there's a lot of people who aren't as fortunate. Selfishly, I don't have to shop, which I hate in both D&D and real life, plus I can spend my time hosting or attending parties, sharing food and drink, and spending time with friends or family, which is what I prefer in the holiday season.

All that said, I think a good D&D gift would be something that upgrades the fun or efficiency of the group as a whole. Anything that makes things more organized, more fun to do, or otherwise enhances the gaming space to make it more comfortable or immersive.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Christmas. Ugh...

Probably the best and simultaneously worst holiday (ok, scratch that, second best... Halloween is first, easy, but Christmas is the worst, also easy ;) ).

I love the "feeling" of what is SUPPOSED to go on during Saturnalia (re: "Christmas" to modern ears): Celebrating the 'end' of winter, thanking others for being there to help you get through the winter, good food, good drink, pine trees, candles and fireplaces roaring in the background, friends and family getting together to just chill, relax and enjoy each others company.

My fondest memories as a child (up until my late teens) was family getting together at some ones home. Typically Grandparents. Then just being around my uncles, aunts, cousins and grandparents. Presents were fine and all...but not what I really remember (other than getting "Powers & Perils" RPG box when I was 13! :D ). Waking up to the sound and smell of a fresh-cooked breakfast of pancakes, bacon and eggs, coffee and tea. Helping clean the table and do the dishes with people I rarely saw, if at all, that year. Playing with everyone's pets that got brought along. Going on family walks down the street, into the trails and woods, going tobogganing or ice fishing, freezing our butts off...but then warming to a crackling fire and 'Uncle Jim's Famous Eggnog'. Man! One of the best feelings in the world!

THAT is what Saturnalia...er.. Christmas... ;) is to me. That is what it SHOULD be.

But you know what really harshes my mellow? Seeing Christmas advertisements or hearing Christmas Music... IN OCTOBER! 🤬 Every time that happens... then Christmas is boycotted by me. No gifts for anyone, no gifts for me, no tree, no decorations...at BEST I will go visit friends/family for a few hours or a day. I spend as LITTLE AS POSSIBLE at any store...any. Hobby, restaurant, hardware....no matter. In short, Bah Humbug!!! ;)

This year...I get a Saturnalia because I didn't see or hear any Christmas "stuff". Unfortunately it's going to be quiet this year...some in-laws are heading down south to spend it with other family. But...that just leaves me more time to go visit friends I haven't talked to in a long time. :)

Presents? No thanks. As others have said, I have everything I want, and anything I still want, nobody can afford. Buy me a Snickers bar and a Tim Horton's Dark Roast coffee and I'm good. :)

^_^

Paul l. Ming

There is also the shipping container ship-show, so that may affect things if one does not start now.

Read an article from a few days ago where HASBRO said all their stuff for Christmas has pretty much arrived on shore,. Not sure if that includes all the stuff from WotC, though it looks like the new 3-book set is all that is still delayed until past the holidays.

Remove ads