Collar of Striking

Daag

First Post
Collar of Striking: This collar allows a creature’s natural attacks to harm another creature with damage reduction as if they had an enhancement bonus, equivalent to the type of collar worn, +1 to +5. These collars change in size, from Tiny to Gargantuan. If a druid with the wild shape ability wears one of these collars, he may choose not to have the item meld into his new form, and thus gaining ability to damage creatures with damage reduction.
Caster Level: 6th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item; greater magic fang; Market Price: 1,000 gp (+1), 3,000 gp (+2), 6,000 gp (+3), 10,000 gp (+4), 15,000 (+5); Weight: 1 lb.

-

Ok, so I was trying to think of how a druid could hit creatures with DR in wild shape form, and how his animal companions could as well. I came up with this item, derived from the Sure Striking weapon ability. At first, I was thinking of just the +5 version, so I determined the price of a sure striking weapon, which comes out as 8,000 gp. Then I remembered the bracers of striking from Magic of Faerun, and decided to treat them as a double weapon for price, which came out to 16,000 gp. This seemed like a lot to me, for an item I needed relatively early, so I decided to break it up in terms of +*.

Now I think the pricing is ok, seeing as you don’t actually get an enhancement bonus to any attacks, but I was still wondering if the price is high or low. My areas of contention are the fact that most creatures have 3 or more natural attacks, balanced out by the fact that you generally need more than one set if you want to your animal companions and your own wild shaped form to hit creatures with damage reduction.

Please tell me what you think, and if anything needs to be changed. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.
Collar of Striking:

I suggest using the usual costs for Magic Weapon Enhancements:
Bonus x Bonus x 2.000.
It shouldn`t be lower, perhaps even higher in regard to monks. (Double Weapon costs make sense when I think of the Flurry of Blows Ability.)

Epametheus

First Post
There is an Amulet of Natural Attacks or something like that in Sword and Fist that grants an enhancement bonus to attack and damage, and it was a fairly expensive item..

Considering that your item only overcomes DR and doesn't give any sort of attack or damage bonus, I'd say the cost is fine. An item that lets you overcome +5/whatever DR with natural attacks isn't as good as something that makes your natural attacks +5 weapons, by a long shot.

Remove ads