Comments on Devoted Defender

Akhkharu

First Post
My DM doesn't care for the summon shadow ability of the ShadowDancer so I was wondering how this would be for a replacement.

Devoted Defender: At Xth level (thinking 5th), the Shadow can create a Devoted Defender out of the character’s own shadow. The Devoted Defender can protect the Shadow by intercept blows and taking a total hit points equal to 2 times Shadow level, excess damage is continues through to the Shadow. The Devoted Defender can either do 2 claw attacks dealing 1d6+2 shadow damage instead of protecting the Shadow. Treat the Devoted Defender as having the character’s highest base attack.
Summoning a Devoted Defender is a move equivalent action, which produces attacks of opportunity. The summoned Devoted Defender last for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 Shadow level, round down and can be summoned a total of 3 times a day. After the Devoted Defender has been returned, it takes 1 full hour before another one can be summoned. The summoned Devoted Defender occupies the same area as the Shadow but does not grant any bonuses for occupying the same square. Only 1 Devoted Defender can be in play at any given time.

**EDIT** edit text to reflect comments

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
med stud said:
This sounds way too powerful to me; a shadow is much weaker then a 60 rounds Stone skin or two extra attacks.

I agree and the damage reduction is even more powerful then stoneskin.

Maybe be able to do this 1/round per level 3/day would be much better.

graydoom

First Post
I definitely concur... this is too powerful. It would be best, IMO, to reduce both the power of the ability, and the duration, and maybe the number of times it can be used per day.

Akhkharu

First Post
Changed the following:
-The DD now deals 1d6+2 points of damage per claw, still 2 claw attacks.
-Decreased duration to 1/2 Shadow's level
-DD now takes hp equal to 2 X Shadow's level with excess continuing through to the shadow.
-Added a time restriction: Once the DD has been returned, it takes 1 hour before another one can be summoned.

Crothian

First Post
I like that a lot. It gives good flavor to the class and is useful. Plus it should freak out your enemies. Good Job.

Remove ads