• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Condensing forums

AeroDm

First Post
I am thinking specifically about the 4e house rules and 4e general forum. The 4e house rules forum will routinely have an hour between posts. What benefit does separating the forums provide that prefixes could not more easily provide without forcing people to tab between forums? I'm not sure if other sub-forums similarly have low traffic, but it seemed a worthwhile discussion.

fba827

Adventurer
while i am no authority on the subject, a couple reasons i can think of to keep them seperated:
a) less traffic in house rules lets people look at and comment on them longer (historically, many people don't go beyond the first page or two, so this gives more chance for those with interest in house rules to review, use, comment on it)
b) less confusion, while house rules are sometimes given as comments to actual rules-related questions, i have in the past seen instances where novice players are confused by seeing a house rule and assuming it as a written rule that he/she missed

having said that, it isn't the end of the world either way as far as i'm concerned as long as people are able to stay clear on what's a house rule discussion and what isn't.

AeroDm

First Post
while i am no authority on the subject, a couple reasons i can think of to keep them seperated:
a) less traffic in house rules lets people look at and comment on them longer (historically, many people don't go beyond the first page or two, so this gives more chance for those with interest in house rules to review, use, comment on it)
b) less confusion, while house rules are sometimes given as comments to actual rules-related questions, i have in the past seen instances where novice players are confused by seeing a house rule and assuming it as a written rule that he/she missed

having said that, it isn't the end of the world either way as far as i'm concerned as long as people are able to stay clear on what's a house rule discussion and what isn't.
All good points. Just looking at the 4e house rules forum, though, and the most recent posts on the first page span 3 weeks and only 8 threads have received posts in the last 48 hours. It just makes the journey to the forum less worthwhile and makes me wonder if those threads wouldn't get more action if they were easier accessed.

Remove ads