Controlling spells through a Wall of Force?

Dwarmaj

First Post
Can spells that require mental control be used through a Wall of Force?

Example:
A wizard cast flaming shpere and rolls it 20'. A wall of force is then placed 5' away, can the wizard still control the shpere that is on the other side of the wall?

Could a wizard cast a spell, like Summon Monster, and have the creature appear on the other side of a Wall of Force? What if the wall didn't reach floor to ceiling or wall to wall, would that matter?

Dwarmaj

gfunk

First Post
Actually, someone on the Wizards' boards asked a similar question. In a nutshell, he wanted to know if you could cast a Project Image through a Wall of Force and then cast spell that would originate from your Image.

In this case and the ones that you cited, you need a Line of Effect to cast spells. You have Line of Sight, but due to the force, you have no Line of Effect, so you couldn't cast a spell through a Wall of Force.

Your question about concentration though, is an interesting one. I mean if you first cast a spell requiring concentration and *then* put up a Wall of Force and *then* try to concentrate on the illusion, flaming sphere or whatever . . . well I'm pretty sure you would still need a Line of Effect but I'm too lazy to look it up right now,:(

tarkin

First Post
As a guideline I ask myself this questio:

"If the wall of force was made of 10' solid adamantine would he be able to do that?"

Whatever the answer to hypothetical question, I use the same ruling for the Wall of Force.

Remove ads