Cost and Weight for larger than normal weapons

rrealm

First Post
A) Does a "Huge Bastard Sword" cost 140gp and weigh 24 pounds? (35gp x 2 [to make large] x 2 [to make huge] and 6 lbs x 2 [to make large] x 2 [to make huge])

B) What is the cost if the huge bastard sword is masterwork?
1) 1340 ( (35 x 2 x 2) + (300 x 2 x 2) = 1340) )
2) 440 gp? ( (35 x 2 x 2) = 140 + 300 = 440 )

C) What if the weapon has a +1 magical enchantment
1) 8000 + B1 (2,000 x2 [to make large] x 2 [to make huge] + the MW multiplied out + base cost multiplied out)
2) 2000 + B2? (The 2,000 is added on, not multiplied)

UltimaGabe

First Post
First off, as far as Masterwork or Enhancements go, they always cost the same, no matter what size the weapon is. A Colossal +1 Flaming Spiked Chain costs just as much as a Tiny +1 Shocking Spiked Chain. As far as the price of the weapon itself goes, I believe that doesn't change either- at least, there's no distinction between the cost of Small and Medium Longswords in the PHB.

Tetsubo

First Post
I'd double the cost of a weapon each time it goes up a size beyond Medium. There is just a lot more material needed to create the item. As for the weights... pretty much every D&D weapon weight is screwed up. They all are too heavy. That will have to be a GM call. But no bastard sword sized sword ever weighed 12 pounds...

Stormrunner

Explorer
UltimaGabe said:
First off, as far as Masterwork or Enhancements go, they always cost the same, no matter what size the weapon is. A Colossal +1 Flaming Spiked Chain costs just as much as a Tiny +1 Shocking Spiked Chain. As far as the price of the weapon itself goes, I believe that doesn't change either- at least, there's no distinction between the cost of Small and Medium Longswords in the PHB.
Enhancement cost doesn't change with size - making a Tiny weapon Flaming costs just as much as making a Colossal weapon Flaming.

Masterwork cost stays the same regardless of size, per the DMG p223.

The base cost does go up for larger weapons: per the PHB, Small and Medium weapons cost the same, but Large weapons cost x2. Neither the PHB nor the DMG say what do do for weapons that are Tiny or smaller, or Huge or larger, but they do give a table for armor (PHB, p123); since the multipliers there for Small, Medium, and Large armors match the multipliers given for weapons of those sizes, I would just use the armor table for weapons as well.

CalrinAlshaw

First Post
I'm sorry, I have to disagree with the PHB on the whole doubling of price for each size increase above whats listed in the PHB. My reason being, the largest costs in most objects is the cost of the craftsmanship, not the materials. I generally just add 50% of the medium-sized person price.

Calrin Alshaw

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads