D&D 5E Creators of Solasta: Crown of the Magister holding a survey for reprinting the setting book + PDF

Libertad

Hero
While I figure a lot of people are rightfully hooked on Baldur's Gate 3, the publishers of the prior big 5e video game, Solasta, are having a survey to gauge reader interest in their campaign setting. The setting sourcebook was originally a limited edition reward for a KickStarter pledge, but may look into putting up a reprint for general sale. As someone who played the video game, I did like it. Even though it was clearly the effort of a small studio and not a big company, it had a lot of good points like faithful adaption of ttrpg combat and tactics along with an intricate custom campaign creator. Who knows, I might even write a Let's Read for it someday!

Here's a link to the article in question.

And the survey itself.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Solasta is a fun game. Incredibly cheesy, the cutscenes feel more like a bunch of people sitting around a table and talking rather than a theatrical production. All of your characters have voices, history, and personalities despite being otherwise customizable blank slates. And I can't stress enough how they really nail the conversion of mechanics from tabletop into a videogame, complete with a granularity slider for just how mechanically accurate to tabletop you want to be.

As for the lore, it has some interesting concepts:
Humans are actually refugees from a different world, as are the main antagonists of the setting, the Soraks
Gods didn't exist on Solasta until the humans brought them over.
It's a post-apocalyptical world due to the same event that let the Humans and the Soraks come to the world.

Unfortunately, all the cool stuff happened 1000 years ago, and the world is largely stable (just not in a golden age) at the moment. So it ends up being lightly flavored generic despite itself. An all too common hang-up of many settings.

Fortunately though, the sublasses they created for the game are rather cool. Insect-pact warlocks. Wizards with bows and a bit of primal magic in their book. Stone powered Barbarians, and quite a bit more surprisingly. There should be something in there that would make you go "I want to play that!"

Last edited:

Remove ads