• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E d&d (5e) sorcerous origin, cantrips and spells

JohnnyZen

First Post
Hoi together,
I have created the material below as an option for sorcerer and want to know your opinion about that. The material isn’t playtest yet and I hope you can give me a little help me to balance this subclass compare to the other origins. The cantrip and spell is another option for this origin to give it a little more combat flexibility and the option for a (in my opinion) cool melee spell attack in the case of the cantrip. Thanks

Sorcerous Origin: Force

Inertial Armor
At 1st level, as a reaction, you sheathe yourself in an intangible field of magical force. For 8 hours, your base AC is 13 + your Dexterity modifier, and you gain resistance to force damage. This effect ends if you are wearing or don armor.

Destructive Force
Starting at 6th level, you can spend 1 sorcery point to add your Charisma modifier to the damage of a spell or cantrip you cast that deals force damage.

Overwhelming Force
At 6th level you can spend 1 sorcery point to gain advantage on Strength checks for 1 hour.

Force Explosion
Starting at 14th level, when you are hit by a melee attack, you can use your reaction to deal force damage to the attacker. The damage equals your sorcerer level.
The attacker must also make a Strength saving throw against your sorcerer spell save DC. On a failed save, the attacker is pushed 20 feet away and knocked down.

Telekinetic Field
At 18th level, you gain immunity to force damage. You also gain a magical flying speed of 60 feet. As an action, you can reduce your flying speed to 30 feet for 1 hour and choose a number of creatures within 30 feet of you equal to 3 +your Charisma modifier. The chosen creatures gain a magical flying speed of 30 feet for 1 hour. Once you reduce your flying speed in this way, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Brutal Strike
Transmutation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous
You augment your natural strength with raw magical energy, granting you the ability to strike with incredible power. Make a melee spell attack against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 bludgeoning damage. After you make the attack, the energy fades away.
The spell’s damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).

Forceful Blow
Evocation cantrip
Range: Touch
Components: S
You have learned how to channel raw magical energy into your strikes, lending them devastating power. Make a melee spell attack against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 force damage, and if it is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength Save or is knocked Prone. After you make the attack, the energy fades away.
The spell’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

Force Blast
2nd level evocation
Range: Self (100-foot line)
Components: V, S
A stroke of energy forming a line 100 feet long and 5 feet wide blasts out from you in a direction you choose. Each creature in the line must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 2d6 force damage on a failed save, and is pushed 20 feet away and knocked prone. On a successful one the target takes only half as much damage.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 2nd.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Inertial Armor
At 1st level, as a reaction, you sheathe yourself in an intangible field of magical force. For 8 hours, your base AC is 13 + your Dexterity modifier, and you gain resistance to force damage. This effect ends if you are wearing or don armor.
Make more sense to me to just say you know mage armor and can cast it on yourself at will. Then just grant full time resistance to force damage.

Destructive Force
Starting at 6th level, you can spend 1 sorcery point to add your Charisma modifier to the damage of a spell or cantrip you cast that deals force damage.
Best decide how that works for spells with multiple damage rolls, like magic missile. I think adding Cha to each missile would be overpowered.

Telekinetic Field
At 18th level, you gain immunity to force damage. You also gain a magical flying speed of 60 feet. As an action, you can reduce your flying speed to 30 feet for 1 hour and choose a number of creatures within 30 feet of you equal to 3 +your Charisma modifier. The chosen creatures gain a magical flying speed of 30 feet for 1 hour. Once you reduce your flying speed in this way, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest.
That's pretty strong I'd say, but probably fine.

Brutal Strike is probably a bit weak, I think you could make it deal force damage.

Forceful Blow is probably OK, but maybe annoying to require both an attack and a save every time. How about 1d6 damage and always knocked prone?

Remove ads