• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Modern and the Yellow Brick Road to Damascus

tsadkiel

Legend
Last night I did game design in my sleep.

As I've mentioned on these boards a few times, I run an off-and-on D&D game which is set in the land of Oz. (Not Australia, the one with the munchkins.) It's really not a great match between setting and system, since Greyhawk and Oz operate on some very different assumptions. Still, it's been fun, though mapping the sheer variety of strange characters in the books to the D&D class system is like pulling teeth sometimes. What class is Dorothy, anyway?

In my dreams last night, I started mapping the Oz characters to the d20 Modern system (as seen in the Shadow Chasers minigame in Polyhedron. Dorothy? Dedicated hero. The Scarecrow? Starts out as a Tough Hero, multis into Smart Hero after meeting the Wizard. Eureka the Pink Kitten? Fast Hero. Tik Tok? Strong Hero who moved into the Soldier prestige class at the first oportunity. It works well. It works really, really well.

I didn't like the d20 Modern class structure when I first saw it; it looked too much like everyone being forced to start out as a commoner. But now the game's moved from "maybe pick up" to must buy for me.

Remove ads