Deck of Many Things

Morrow

First Post
I know that the great George Barr painted Deck of Many Things can be found somewhere on the Wizards site, but I lost the link. Can someone help me?

While we're at it, anyone want to share a Deck story?

Morrow

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
BAD BAD BAD

I've had a couple of groups destroyed by the deck of many things. one group had my char draw the imprisonment card. another group had 3 of the chars alignment changed ( this was really our fault for not understanding that once a card is drawn it disappears) several chars over different groups have lost all their magic and money. lots of good has come from it free followers, free castles, free exp and magic.

Stay away, stay very far away

Paragon

mearlus

Explorer
Way back around 1990 when I started to play D&D, in probably my 5th or 6th game session we enountered a deck. The group of players I played with were friends, and still are (actually some of them are in my current game). We were all fairly new to the game, and that being said, common sense dumb. ;) We were all about 2nd or 3rd level and adventuring in Cormyr, right around Eveningstar. Yep, you guessed it, The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. (One of my favorite adventures to this day)

As I said, we were unexperienced as players and characters! Which, I think made the game all that more exciting. We didn't have sense enough to search in torch sconces for keys or the like, and most of all we NEVER, EVER looked up. And the DM was a detail stickler, if you didn't say you do it, you didn't. Well, needless to say we had things fall on top of us. One room inparticular was a large "empty" room with a open doorway on the other side. So what do we do? Yep, stroll right into the center of the room. After nearly everyone entered the room the green slime that was hanging fromt he cealing decided to have us for lunch. Needless to say, after a few desperate rounds we figured out how to kill it. (although we all were quite hairless)

Once it died we found an ivory box, about the size that a deck of cards could fit into it. We had never heard of this magic item, and didn't know the aspects of what it did. (I think that was the best part, not knowing at all)

We opened it up (without searching for traps I might add) and it spoke to the holder, draw X amount of cards and such. It said some rules like once you pick a number you cannot take less etc. We were all confused. So the first person who draws does 2 or something and has a couple good things happen to them. Then the paladin sees this and is like, awesome. I draw X amount. I think he ended up with some good things, and some bad things. Another guy drew 1 and got the void. And afterwards I think everyone atleast drew one. The funniest thing was when we went into another room and there was a whole big enough for a hand to go in, and the paladin directs the guy body who's in the void to stick his hand in it (incase it had a trap). Well it did, and the body got poisoned, and the paladin lost his paladinhood for doing that.

Needless to say it was a good time, and to this day we still give the guy who ran the paladin crap about it :) Not that any of us really had a good grasp of the rules back then, but it's still a fond memory :)

Mearlus

Remove ads