Defenders of the Faith and Hospitaler

nwn_deadman

First Post
My DM points out that a Hospitaler defends pilgrims and takes quests to retrieve relics and such.

Living City does not allow this particular class, but for others like it, they stipulate an amount of time per year that the character should have to spend on class duties.

What about making the character do something like establish a “safe harbor" for pilgrims on their way to a site affiliated with their patron god.

The amount of this duty would vary as per the level of the character and take on forms such as:

Levels 1-3

Offer to create/purify food and water, cure light/moderate wounds and lesser restoration. Provide Shelter I.

Levels 4-7

As 1-3 plus cure serious/critical wounds, remove curse/disease and restoration. Provide Shelter II.

Levels 8-10

As 1-7 plus break enchantment and raise dead. Provide Shelter III.

Shelter in the form of:

Provide Shelter I. Levels 1-3 Fortified Camp and provisions for journey
Provide Shelter II Levels 4-7 Simple Dwelling and passage in immediate vicinity
Provide Shelter III Levels 8-10 Fortified Dwelling and passage in immediate vicinity

These services would be provided for the pilgrims free of charge, the only exception is when there is a material cost or an XP cost and then the receiving party must pay the cost.

This seems fair to me, as this would keep the character in line with the demands of the class.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
What you demand of the player with this character is completely up to you as the DM. Some requirements of certain prestige classes are open ended, meaning you decide what the task is and what that task encompasses.

Take the Assassin prestige class for example. One of the requirements is that you must kill somebody for no other reason than to join the assassins. This means you can have a guild select a random target, a specific target, such as an innocent child, or even worse, the character's mother or father. All of these options are fully available to you, and as the DM, you make the final call to make the game as interesting and flavorfull as possible.

Have fun. :)

Human Cleric1, Fighter1, Paladin? can qualify very fast for it, allowing spellcasting like a cleric and combat capabilities like a Paladin. We have such a character in our game. He is devastating - but I did not get the feeling he would make the game unbalanced for the other classes. :)

nwn_deadman

First Post
SeRiAlExPeRiMeNtS said:
This class needes to be completly remade! not only it is too powerfull but it is also flavorless.
I agree with this, that is why that there are the restrictions that there are. like the vow of poverty, staying in one local, defending pilgrims. This does not allow for a lot of adventuring.

Remove ads