Dispelling and Craft Wand

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Dispel Magic is always effective if cast on your own spell. I wonder whether this applies to spells cast from items.

1) Say I craft a wand of Fly, and use it on an ally. He decides to steal my wallet and fly off. If I cast Dispel Magic on him, must I make a caster level check, or is Fly automatically dispelled?

2) If the wand was crafted by someone else, but used by me, do I auto-dispel its effect?

3) If I crafted the wand, but someone else used it, do I auto-dispel its effect?

kreynolds

First Post
AuraSeer said:
Dispel Magic is always effective if cast on your own spell. I wonder whether this applies to spells cast from items.

No.

AuraSeer said:
1) Say I craft a wand of Fly, and use it on an ally. He decides to steal my wallet and fly off. If I cast Dispel Magic on him, must I make a caster level check, or is Fly automatically dispelled?

You must make a caster level check against the item, whether you made the item or not. Use the caster level of the item, which can be found in the item's statistics block. See the description of Dispel Magic in the PH for more information.

AuraSeer said:
2) If the wand was crafted by someone else, but used by me, do I auto-dispel its effect?

No. Also, see first answer.

AuraSeer said:
3) If I crafted the wand, but someone else used it, do I auto-dispel its effect?

No. Again, see first answer.

Last edited:

durath

First Post
On the bright side-you would probably be a higher level than you were when you first made the wand so your dispell attempt against your own item should go well.:p

Remove ads