D&D 5E Do You Delve?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, it comes up a lot when talking about D&D, and I’m wondering how unusual I actually am on this.

My group does not often “delve”. I don’t just mean dungeons. We do not often go to an adventure location, and follow a process that could be called “basically delving just using a city/forest/whatever instead of a dungeon”. It happens sometimes, but we don’t have fights that are just there to have multiple combat encounters, we don’t have anything resembling a “room by room” structure unless we are in a house or whatever and trying to find something, which isn’t especially common.

The closest we have come in the last few years was a forest adventure, which did involve multiple places within a broad location, a fight, and a skill challenge, but I think we’d be stretching the definition to call that a delve.

Before that was an investigation spanning about a quarter of Khorvaire with no enclosed or otherwise limited locales (some plains, some rooftops, and then the city of Korth), ending in a defensive battle protecting one PCs’ family home.

Before that was a bank heist mixed in with a tourney (the mark was a participant as was his intended buyer), which was resolved as a series of skill challenges with flashbacks to establish pre-heist planning.

Before that was a tower that could have been run more like a dungeon, but we just don’t enjoy that gameplay so we abstract pst the stuff we find boring like checking every room, and it was instead an exploration challenge followed by a setpeice encounter that mixed skill challenge with combat. The tower had magical defenses that the party managed to take over, which slowed down the enemy horde, and blocked off some of the reinforcements that the big baddie could call in.

In another campaign, we were basically a cross between Jedi, cinematic FBI agents, and the Galaxy Rangers, investigating corruption and spy craft from the Illithid empire’s agents.

My buddy does tend to use “adventure sights” more, but also avoids “room by room” procedural delving. It’s more, explore and investigate, and then do a big setpeice thing that could be combat or a skill challenge to perform a ritual while the clock ticks down toward doom, or a mix.

What about you? How close do you get toward the traditional dungeon experience?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Virtually never. My play is almost entirely scene-based, not site-based. I'm working on a campaign now that'll be more site-based dungeon crawling, but it's a very weird experience as I have to fight my own instincts to make big scenes, and trust that the situation will simply grow organically out of the site.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Almost all of my games involve exploring an adventure location like a dungeon. I'm running two campaigns now. One is city plus mega dungeon. The other is a hex crawl which features some scattered smaller dungeons, though much of the content so far has been wilderness based (swamps, forest).

Quickleaf

Legend
Yes, we delve!

I think of it as designing with compression and expansion as experiential changes in pacing.

Party evaded a random encounter with bone vultures and made a trade of healing for info from people dwelling in the valley of tombs (expansion)... then they delved through a tomb, solving a secret door puzzle/riddle, making lore connections, choosing how to approach an iron mummy, dealing with some atypical flesh golems and realizing they could pacify them with True Names (compression)... only for the villains in another room to cause the poisonous waters to rise and a boss battle to ensue with the PCs winning by subduing one sister and threatening to kill her unless the other surrendered (climax)... and then after questioning the captive villains, deducing the big picture and the conspiracy, choosing to rest in the tomb overnight, only to be haunted by a spirit that was searching for two of the PCs (expansion).

Delving is a very good way to narrow focus, encourage challenge-based thinking, drill down to detail-oriented descriptions, and build tension.

At some point, however, the players need a break to avoid fatigue setting in, and that tension needs a release.

Oofta

Legend
I almost never do dungeons and haven't since a time long ago in a galaxy far far away called "high school". Sometimes the PCs have to enter old ruins that are inhabited to achieve a goal or in pursuit of a protagonist but that's as close as I get. When it comes to exploration of such areas I generally use theater of the mind and ask how careful they're being while exploring.

I do sometimes have individual rooms or locations that are special, but in most cases it's just set dressing and secondary to the overall plot, investigation and story.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
More overworld, less underworld for me, as well.

Lots of RP and exploration. When combat happens, and sometimes it is just a random fight for no particular reason tied to the current story, it mostly takes over focus and becomes hyper tactical 'cause that's what my current party likes.

The party just hit level 5 after over 3 months of playing on a twice-weekly basis (Story-Advancement rather than XP from monsters) and we've been in 1 dungeon, 1 house that was kind of run like a dungeon, and 1 boat-interior that was kind of dungeon-adjacent. It was mostly a floating fighting location.

doctorbadwolf

Virtually never. My play is almost entirely scene-based, not site-based. I'm working on a campaign now that'll be more site-based dungeon crawling, but it's a very weird experience as I have to fight my own instincts to make big scenes, and trust that the situation will simply grow organically out of the site.
That wild I’m working on a delve-focused campaign as well, inspired by Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda (esp breath of the wild) games and Shadow of The Colossus, with 9 Great Dragons that are divine construct temples, being both a creature and a location/environment to explore, and a puzzle to solve.
Yes, we delve!

I think of it as designing with compression and expansion as experiential changes in pacing.

Party evaded a random encounter with bone vultures and made a trade of healing for info from people dwelling in the valley of tombs (expansion)... then they delved through a tomb, solving a secret door puzzle/riddle, making lore connections, choosing how to approach an iron mummy, dealing with some atypical flesh golems and realizing they could pacify them with True Names (compression)... only for the villains in another room to cause the poisonous waters to rise and a boss battle to ensue with the PCs winning by subduing one sister and threatening to kill her unless the other surrendered (climax)... and then after questioning the captive villains, deducing the big picture and the conspiracy, choosing to rest in the tomb overnight, only to be haunted by a spirit that was searching for two of the PCs (expansion).

Delving is a very good way to narrow focus, encourage challenge-based thinking, drill down to detail-oriented descriptions, and build tension.

At some point, however, the players need a break to avoid fatigue setting in, and that tension needs a release.
That’s a really useful break down if why you delve! Thank you!

doctorbadwolf

I almost never do dungeons and haven't since a time long ago in a galaxy far far away called "high school". Sometimes the PCs have to enter old ruins that are inhabited to achieve a goal or in pursuit of a protagonist but that's as close as I get. When it comes to exploration of such areas I generally use theater of the mind and ask how careful they're being while exploring.

I do sometimes have individual rooms or locations that are special, but in most cases it's just set dressing and secondary to the overall plot, investigation and story.
Exactly the same, here.
More overworld, less underworld for me, as well.

Lots of RP and exploration. When combat happens, and sometimes it is just a random fight for no particular reason tied to the current story, it mostly takes over focus and becomes hyper tactical 'cause that's what my current party likes.

The party just hit level 5 after over 3 months of playing on a twice-weekly basis (Story-Advancement rather than XP from monsters) and we've been in 1 dungeon, 1 house that was kind of run like a dungeon, and 1 boat-interior that was kind of dungeon-adjacent. It was mostly a floating fighting location.
Hell yeah. And seeing any enclosed space as a dungeon is a stretch anyway, usually used to rhetorically limit D&D and act like everyone is really playing the same way.

I just did a session where the PCs went to talk to a noble friend about the danger he was putting himself in by delving into the secrets of Dragonmarked Magic and how to duplicate it. The found out it was even worse, because he was also investigating a couple conspiracies AND agitating for greater egalitarianism in Breland. The house was attacked mid conversation, and it became a prolonged battle over multiple stories and down corridors etc. not multiple encounters, it was run as one battle.

Then at the end some of them are escaping on a sky coach, and Brenn (the noble) flips a switch and reveals 4 experimental two-seater flying machines, and yells for everyone to pair up and follow him. Next session will be a chase-battle through an obstacle course at high speeds.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That wild I’m working on a delve-focused campaign as well, inspired by Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda (esp breath of the wild) games and Shadow of The Colossus, with 9 Great Dragons that are divine construct temples, being both a creature and a location/environment to explore, and a puzzle to solve.
That sounds pretty amazing, actually. Sandboxesque but with a cohesive overlay to frame the campaign.

Remove ads