D&D General Does anyone know where I can get 1.5 inch squre grid Fantacy battle maps?

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Good thought. I already modified a tailors tap writing the 5 ft increments over the inches. I got the Idea from mageknights flexible rulers. It makes those "the target is 15foot up and 110ft away I think he is out of your 120ft range" debates a little easier because you measure up 3 inches (in 5ft increments) then measure the 120ft. I actually cut my tap at the 25 inch mark to give me something to hold on to when I measure 120ft but I generally don't need more than that.

I will look to see if I can find some scale maps without grids that's a pretty reasonable idea. I might even email the guy who did that kickstarter to see if I can buy some maps directly.

Edit and actually... ArcKnight offers 1.5 inch square or hex overlays. So If I get some plain maps and these overlays I will in fact have access to 1.5 inch grid maps.

Last edited:

magumbasauce

Villager
Came across this thread searching for info on using other types of grids in D&D and thought I would add some info that would hopefully be helpful, seeing as there is already some great info here!

So i have several options available and use a variety of things, some of which are included above so i won't repeat those. But what brought me here was I picked up the Patreon for Dragon's Rest. Both that and the Dragon Lock systems are for 3D printing, so having that opens up quite a few options (if you don't have, you can have them printed, but that's not the main point of this thread or the OP's request). MY point here is: Both said 28mm scale for tabletop, but DR's is 1.5" squares, but DL's is 1" squares. So I was like: huh?? (i've always really seen 1" squares or grid...)

What I wanted to share was for running my current game, I also use Realm Works. Luckily, i am running it at my FLGS and am friends with the owner (who is also in the game), and they have a normal drop ceiling. So with about $15 in hardware, a 50' HDMI cable, 2x USB-C extension cables (for power), some Command Outdoor Lighting Clips, and a Mini Projector (about $300, on clearance still at Best Buy), I'm projecting the maps from the ceiling onto the table itself (instead of from below as one of the previous posts). I can link the hardware if anyone is interested, but it's a pretty simple setup, since the projector can mount to a standard camera mount, so anything that will hold a security camera or GoPro or anything like that will do.

Depending on the sizes and how many different terrains you want, you could request 1.5" squares from Mats by Mars. I just got a few from them with some different overlays for different games and they are fantastic. Comparable cost to the Megamat you got. The difference mainly is that these would be slightly cheaper (few bucks), have an image or terrain or whatever vs "plain", and 1 sided. Both wet erase and they "feel' about the same. I have a Megamat that has 1" squares/hexes and store them in the same hard tube for transport, so if I need something quick or custom outside of something prepared in Realm Works (which is generally full "maps" with points and all that), I can toss that out on the table and draw some stuff out and throw down some Dwarven Forge (luckily the store backs them as well, so stuff is there and ready to use).

Again, just some more info if people are searching for this type of info. The gridless video is really sweet! I actually want to measure the Star Wars legion movement tools (since we play that in-store too) and see how far that is in terms of grid size. That's exactly how the movement is in that game with the video was saying (place tool next to mini, move mini to opposite side of tool, remove tool).

hope at least some of that is useful!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases