D&D 4E Dragon Master: A Channeller of IO. (aka Nemagh)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My namesake from Roleplaying the character began in AD&D era D&D. The character including personality was designed by my brother and I jointly.

An earlier thread I introduced Dragonmasters as a group and it was mostly
a flavor post so is this one.

D&D 4E - Channelers of Io

dm.gif
Garthan was born with the mark of the Nemahg in Aurea Capital of Aurelia. The flame red eyes where undeniable and so he was raised by the Justiciars virtually from birth.

The Master: Garthan has little empathy for any who lose control or display poor discipline. Perhaps that statement is more than a bit harsh, it might be more accurate to say he fears those who lose control or finds himself jealous of their freedom. His need for control has been drilled into him since very early childhood. He clamps his behavior and expression even when the beast arises inside of course this doesn’t stop his Aura from flaring like a bonfire from behind his eyes.

The Artist: He sometimes worries over being a “real Aurelian” his early life as he sees it was somewhat deprived of normalcy. This has influenced him to develop artistic design skills in the vision of ”Aurelian Ideals”. Nevertheless all he really knows is being a Justiciar so he applies this inclination to prove himself to the tools of his trade designing them. This attitude of taking back what he has lost is a defining trait. It blatantly shows him to be of the restorationist bent of mind and at some point in his life he may become an active participant in the movement whose goal is the restoration of humanities lost power. He shows unusual talent in the use of any weapon he himself designs. His first noteworthy design was a fire claw simply analogous to the Fire Lance (it does have the advantage of using less fuel and several functional disadvantages to make up for this a fragile film for transmission for one, more dependent even on pyromancy of its wielder for aiming and control purposes). Garthan even considered the idea that fencing would be a valid art form all the way up till he found himself in a voluntary gladiatorial arena. His morning blade exercises are flavored with moves more flamboyant than normal but relatively the standard amongst Aurelians.

The Son: Garthan’s desire for realness had him seek out his mother (mothers “define” the Aurelian family). The relationship is some what strained, Shiaran seems to feel guilty over losing him about “not even trying.” He holds her no apparent ill will, but realizes the Justiciars who raised him have a broader impact on who he is and that in this way it is hard to be “Aurelian.” He has no clue what to do about this and the two floundered in uncomfortable silence during the majority of his last visit.

The Healer: When Garthan learned sensitives were probably “True Healers” in the time before the blood bond, this became a continuance of his “taking back that which he had lost”. He has proactively fought to learn every iota of information about the mystic healing art he can find, he is frustrated at most every turn but has managed to create a few marginally useful effects ( twisted and tainted by the Nemahg they do not really qualify as healing, he calls them blood magics). This amounts to a minor obsession on his part and involves what many would justifiably call a waste of more time than it’s worth. He has learned some fairly advanced “Physical Healing” as well but not nearly as much as he might have accomplished if he had merely accepted his inability in mystical healing.
(Aurelians distinguish “Mystical/True healing and Physical healing” to an unusual degree in a world where technology and mysticism meld)

The Wizard: Like every sensitive he has a talent for pyromancy it isn’t something he finds very important however he hasn’t totally neglected it and flames do hold a certain fascination for intuitive aspects of him that are unrelated to the Nemahg ( he can sometimes invoke visions with herbs and a fire). He can astral project without too much effort (and was appropriately schooled in protections associated) this is said to be the sign of a true sorcerer. He can work most basic convenience magics with considerable precision and control this is as much an aspect of being an Aurelian as anything. His self designed blood magics and greater pyromancies are the only magic he risks much control loss when performing. Witnessing crimes of violence are more likely in many ways to invoke the dragons rage within him (as most young Aurelians he has had a sheltered life).

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
"If I understand this rightly I must be like unto Bahamut himself; ever vigilant lest I become the madness that is Tiamat." - For Garthan this is about discipline he is definitely a wisdom build archetype.

I actually have a race with subtypes in Character Builder (via CBLoader) which represent different styles of Dragon Masters.

I think I built him at least once using the Deva Race(with minor adjustments), he is mostly likely the reincarnation of Mercy... but the Nemahg has failed to recognize this because of his extreme measure of control.

Last edited:

Remove ads