D&D 3E/3.5 Dragon Slayer (3.5)

daTim

First Post
I'm attempting to make the best Dragon Slayer PC I can. I was going to start with Ranger, go into fighter for Tower Shield and few feats, then go for Foe Hunter PrC (which I'm not sure if it needs updating to 3.5). What I have so far

Human Ranger 5/Fighter 2
Str - 15
Dex - 13
Con - 16
Int - 13
Wis - 12
Chr - 8

Feats by Level
1 - Track (ranger 1) Expertise, Dodge, Favored enemy: Dragon
2 - Combat Style 1 (?)
3 - Endurance (ranger 3), Possibly Power attack
4 -
5 - Favored Enemy 2: ?
6 - Improved Favored enemy: Dragon, Chink in the Armor
7 - Mobility

At this point I should qualify for Foe Hunter, and cant think of too many feats to take. I guess I could just keep piling on Improved Favored enemy: Dragon :)

With Chink in the Armor, I can virtually halve a dragons AC, and power attack alot of my bonus to damage. If I am double handing a greatsword, that can be alot of damage. On the other hand, I may want a tower shield for the AC, possible energy resistance enchantment, and for the full cover against breath weapons. If I dont get Power Attack, I'm not sure what to get.

Equipment isnt too important, definatly pick up a Dragon Bane sword, and enchant my armor/shield with different energy resistances as it becomes available.

Few Possible Variations: Going to see if I can take Dragons again as my favored enemy at 5th lvl. Also none of the Rangers fighting styles would work for me, as they all require light armor, which I'll never be wearing. May see if I can substutite something else for it.

Suggestions welcome!

Sejs

First Post
Do Archery fighting style, get far shot. Chink in the Armor is a good idea. If you could swing it for levels, pick up enough Rogue to get the Sneak Attack reqs for Hamstring. I -think- you can do that with a ranged attack. It would help a bit to reduce one of the dragon's natural advantages, it's high mobility. Pump as much of your Favored Enemy bonus into Dragon as possible. Tower Shield and some bigish 1h weapon would be good for if you had to close to melee with the beast.

Elemental Resistance would be tricky, as you'd have to know what you're going up against ahead of time.

For magic items, anything with Dragon Bane is of course a plus. A Sunblade would be a good melee weapon, and ideally a bow (or arrows) with the 3.5 version of Wounding would be a godsend for a dragon hunter. The SRD doesn't list Woundind under ranged weapon enhancements, but run it by the DM - you never know, they may okay it.

daTim

First Post
Well, archery would still be useless as I am going to wear heavy armor. You cant use the ranger "virtual feats" in heavy armor.

Remove ads