Level Up (A5E) Dream spell vs elves

Huntedown

Villager
I would like to a judgement call on the 5th level Dream and the trance for elves

1710207673867.png

Trance mention that elves can dream, but the dream spell state
1710207854049.png

Would it be a oversight, would you allow Elves to be affected by dream?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
well that just screwed one of my player goal to send 'innapropriate' dream into my other elf player that they had a fling :)
I'd allow it but give the Elf the lucid dreaming ability - ie they're fully conscious throughout and can make decisions like its a mental exercise - then run it as a PvP adventure

Selganor

Adventurer
Just because they don't need to sleep doesn't necessarily mean that they can't sleep.

Most of the time they probably won't do (and you probably can't reach their dreams then)

Selganor

Adventurer
It usually doesn't affect elves because they usually don't sleep (but go into a trance) or dream (while in a trance).

If you catch an elf sleeping (and/or dreaming) the dream spell would probably affect them as well.
You might need to hit them with an appropriate sleep spell first ;)
The sleep spell doesn't mention not working on elves and the elf description doesn't mention an immunity to the sleep spell.

noodohs

Explorer
I don't remember why I started thinking of it this way, but I like to think that long ago, some elves got a little too crazy with their dreams and now the entire heritage is like nah, that was too weird, let's just never sleep again so the Eldritch horrors can't get us. So yes, they can sleep, they just really don't want to.

Ondath

Hero
It usually doesn't affect elves because they usually don't sleep (but go into a trance) or dream (while in a trance).

If you catch an elf sleeping (and/or dreaming) the dream spell would probably affect them as well.
You might need to hit them with an appropriate sleep spell first ;)
The sleep spell doesn't mention not working on elves and the elf description doesn't mention an immunity to the sleep spell.
Right there on Fey Ancestry, it says "magic can’t put you to sleep."

However, I like the idea from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes that Elves can go to sleep (and dream) if they like, but they don't like how their subconscious takes control during that time and gives them dreams with complex, potentially disturbing meanings. So only those devoted to Sehanine Moonbow (whose domain is dreams and visions) tend to sleep, as they see their dreams as a message from their goddess. So you could say that an Elf character could decide to go to sleep if they were expecting a visitor via the Dream spell.

Remove ads