• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E-Tools: Inputting new classes, races ?'s

EarthsShadow

First Post
Hello to you all, there is a lot of good information about e-tools on here that makes the program much better than it originally seemed to be. I have a few questions, and if they seem boring or mundane to some of you I apologize, but I am not a super technically minded person when it comes to databases and Access, or how to manipulate the program.

How do you input a new character class? I know the program doesn't offer that...I know how to input a new monster and a new race, but I have no clue how to input a new class. If you have to go into Access, how do you do it? I know some of you have been able to do that, and that's way cool, but I am totally clueless on it. If so, what steps would someone like myself have to take to create a new class, without messing up the program? If you can, please give me the steps as if you are talking to a child and the child has no clue unless spoken to in lamens terms. I would appreciate it, and I know that there are others who would appreciate it also.

Also, for creating a family of monsters, like the Slaad example in the 'manual', it mentioned that it is possible to create a new family. I want to create the Artathi from Mythic Races and simulate it as a family. If this is not possible, then I would have to create each seperate aspect of the race as a distinct race, but in reality they are a family and I would like to keep it like that. Anyone know how to do this?

I would appreciate any help with either of these and thanks again for all the wonderful informaton on these boards and at the various websites and those who run them. Awesome stuff.

bitz

First Post
Before tweaking your database, make a backup!

Secondly, if you plan on sharing this information with others, beware that they will have to make the same modifications as well.

With that...

For Family there is an Access table called 'Types Race Family'. Just add your new Family in there. Not sure on exactly how its used in ET yet. =)

Bitz

Niveria

First Post
Assuming you installed eTools into the "C:\Program Files\Wizards\eTools\" folder, then the Access database is located in the "C:\Program Files\Wizards\eTools\database\" folder.

My advice is, before you make any manual changes to the database, go into the database folder and create a new folder called "backup." Copy your database into the backup folder, where it will be hidden from the program, but easy to find if you have to restore it. Also, I keep an MS Word file in the main database folder where I record changes I make to the database. By referencing the date, name of the edited table, and the specific change made, I can keep a record for myself and those who may want to use the export files I generate with Davin's ET Helper program.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Remove ads