ECL of a Aranea?

Voneth

First Post
"Mystra Flashback"

To make a Aranea PC, what would the ECL be?

From what I am understanding, the ECL would be a +3 for the HD at least. But what about the poison, web, and alternate forms? (I'd ignore the spells Specal Attack for a PC Aranea)

Last edited:

Ferret

Explorer
Solderion?What is the ECL of of a Half-dragon with these stats:Str +4, Dex +0, Con +0, Int +0, Wis +0, Cha +2. And no bite claw atacks, but with Spider climb/Icewalking/water breathing(No high level things like Polymorph self etc) once a day

Archer

First Post
The ECL of that would be +2, considering it is a orc + a little bit.

The ECL calculator undervalues attributes. You can have a +50 charisma race with ECL 0.

Last edited:

Voneth

First Post
Cool, I was making a wild guess and thought ECL 6 was close myself. Just curious, wasn't there a dragon article that slapped out a lot of ECLs? What did that article say about the Arenea?

If I decide to let these spider beings into my games as PCs, I'd kill the spell SA, and just make either Wiz. or Sor. the favored class.

The Sor. class has worked great for me as a NPC/Monster class in that what you can do is simply on your list. No thinking about what you have to prepare before hand, which ends up being about the same size a Sor. spell list anyway.

gnfnrf

First Post
Archer said:
The ECL of that would be +2, considering it is a orc + a little bit.

The ECL calculator undervalues attributes. You can have a +50 charisma race with ECL 0.

The ECL calculator isn't designed to be a point-buy system for designing races. It's designed to fit races to a rough power curve as indicated by the (previous to Dragon article) official sources.

It doesn't check for abuses like you describe because real races (designed without the calculator in mind) don't have strange excesses like that.

--
gnfnrf

Voneth

First Post
Ealli said:
According to the Dragon article, Araneas are ECL +8.

Must be those 2nd level spells. :)

There could be some comprises if I had to justifiy a lower ECL of +8 (as if I wanted to play one.) Basicly reduce the number of times a day that the character could do it's webs, poision and shape shift.

My favorite method of limits is to tie things to abilitiy bonuses. The method seems to fit in with the 3e philosophy and means that high scores become more important.

Voneth

First Post
Just my rough guesses on Aranea PCs

MM entry: Dex +4, Con +4, Int. +4, Wis +2, Cha +4. (now the +8 makes some sense. Ouch!)

A more toned down version of suggestions:

Suggested Racial traits: (this may take the ECL down to +5)

An option of racial bonuses to make the race less outrageous. The three version could even be different breeds.

Str-2 , Char +2, Int +2 (I find it odd that the designers don’t allow for any strength penalty to balance out “social/mental” bonuses.): standard Araena PC

Str –2, Dex +2 “Trapdoor” thief breed
Str –2, Con +2 “Wolf Spider”

Size: Medium

Speed 40 ft, Climb 20 ft (alternate forms only)

Darkvision: 60 ft.

Racial skills: +4 to Climb (Alternate form only), +2 Concentration, Craft +2 (Weaving), Escape Artist +2

Web: as per MM, but based on Con ability bonus per times a day.

Poison: as per MM, but based on Str ability bonus per times a day.

Alternate forms: as per MM, but based on Con ability bonus per times a day. Minimum once per day.

Remove ads