D&D 5E Encounters > Monsters?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
That said, while it had the mechanics, 4e didn't focus as much on the flavor element. Sure i can throw a rakshasa, a were tiger, a nymph, and a dire snail at a party....but how do you explain that?

Bengal the rakshasa had forsworn his evil ways, although it was a daily battle, for the love of the were tigress Shandra. Together in his castle, they fought to forge a life of their own. With the help of their water nymph friend Brook, they tried to become one with nature and the forest, tending to the natural order of things.

Alas, adventurers, sworn to right wrongs and claim vengeance for the evil Bengal had committed before turning to druidism, stormed the castle and fought their way to the edge of the inner moat. Defenses broken, and seemingly no hope of continuing their peaceful ways, they reverted slightly to evil and anger, and prepared to defend their home. Horrified, Brook joined her friends at the moat's watery edge, where she summoned a dire snail to the defense of true love.

Stalker0

Legend
Bengal the rakshasa had forsworn his evil ways, although it was a daily battle, for the love of the were tigress Shandra. Together in his castle, they fought to forge a life of their own. With the help of their water nymph friend Brook, they tried to become one with nature and the forest, tending to the natural order of things.

Alas, adventurers, sworn to right wrongs and claim vengeance for the evil Bengal had committed before turning to druidism, stormed the castle and fought their way to the edge of the inner moat. Defenses broken, and seemingly no hope of continuing their peaceful ways, they reverted slightly to evil and anger, and prepared to defend their home. Horrified, Brook joined her friends at the moat's watery edge, where she summoned a dire snail to the defense of true love.

I smell a new iron dm coming on!

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I smell a new iron dm coming on!

Oooo! Yes! Unfortunately, I am a week away from going on holiday so would be unable to judge or participate...but they're always great fun to read!

Where/in what forum would one go to get that giant iron ball rolling?

@SkidAce , that deserves XP but alas I cannot bestow any upon you.

I already did, but for myself, so unfortunately I can't cover you. Someone else care to pick up the XP baton? Definitely deserves some more. :D

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Thanks for XP and thoughts.

I have considered Iron DM but rarely have the time.

It's ongoing right now isn't it?

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Thanks for XP and thoughts. I have considered Iron DM but rarely have the time. It's ongoing right now isn't it?

AH! So it is!

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?337990-Scheduling-for-IRON-DM-2013!

Who knew? Started almost a month ago. Already in round 2. Cool!

EDIT: I need to get out [of the D&D/PF forum] more. hahaha./EDIT

EDIT2: Annnnnd here's the most important bit...

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...-Entries-Judgements-Commentary-amp-Trash-Talk

/EDIT2

Last edited:

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Encounters don't even require combat. Meeting with Monsters could be as simple as spotting them first, hiding, and escaping away when not looking. Or it could be you performing an ambush, subduing the first few surprised goblins, and the rest take off running. On the other hand you could send up the white flag. You could deliberately wait to see if you might be in a stand off or not. You could just walk up to them and ask if they have anything on sale (this happens in urban areas quite a lot). Conversation might start an encounter, but it could lead to threats of and actual violence. And violence could end in conversation, though I think this is harder to pull off and often done with more threats (hostages for instance).

So all kinds of stats that commonly aren't assessed for should be for encounters. Movement speed really matters, at least if you care to get away. But so does the ability to hide, sense the world around you, interpret the signs of what occurred before you, your ability to win over others, the monster's learning from its youth, culture, & previous encounters, what they remember from their travels including what they believe as true and what they hold as false, who they are allied to, who they travel with and how they do so, and even marching order (how you array yourselves).
EDIT: And that's all before you account for location and equipment.

All these kinds of stats can be applied to monsters depending upon culture, intelligence, and ability. Kobolds can be a serious threat without increasing their To Hit bonus or applying Class levels to them. Of course a gimpy, hibernating Owlbear isn't quite the same threat as a healthy and hungry one on the prowl at night.

Last edited:

Remove ads